The stars have aligned (new band content)

2manband

• Members

I played with a new band yesterday, and much to my amazement, it seems like it might work out pretty well. Here's why:

Good music - we're working on covers right now, but it's some fun stuff. Not the same crap that every other band is doing, but songs that a crowd will recognize and respond to.

Good musicians - everybody's skillful enough that they can play their part for pretty much any song we'd like to play.

"Team Players" - Seems like everybody wants to make the band sound good as a unit - not just showboat and soak up the spotlight

Age/station in life - we're all mid to late 20's, unmarried, no kids but with good full time day jobs. We all have about the same practice/gigging expectations and similar schedules.

Nobody's a drunk, drug addict, depressed, broke, flake, misc. loser.

During discussions, everybody has had the opportunity to voice their opinion, and it was given due consideration by other members. Each member has veto power if there's a particular song or 2 that they absolutely hate playing.

Maybe I'm still wearing the rose colored glasses 'cuz things went well yesterday - but it's been years since I went to an audition and didn't leave feeling like there were obvious reasons why it would be difficult for everybody to work together.

So, yeah, good stuff. :thu:

• Members

that's great to hear. I take it this isn't the ska thing?

I booted out the guitar player I was playing with because he was terrible and the drummer is picking his stuff up today because he is one of the flakiest people I've ever met. So I called up a guitar player I jammed with a few years back and we're going to try to finally get my heavy groove sludgy band together. I have a singer and a drummer (both of whom i've never met) coming out on Thursday so hopefuly it goes well.

• Members

Good Luck!

It's not the ska/reggae project - the guy who was putting that project together pulled the plug - I think mainly due to his wife's objections (new baby on the way) - kinda disappointing, but I can't blame him considering the situation.

This was a response to a Craigslist ad that I posted. The singer and guitar player have known each other for 10 years or so, and have a lot of material down. They've played with the drummer for a month or so, and just brought me in to play bass yesterday - turns out the drummer works at my company. Small world.

• Members

Good Luck!

It's not the ska/reggae project - the guy who was putting that project together pulled the plug - I think mainly due to his wife's objections (new baby on the way) - kinda disappointing, but I can't blame him considering the situation.

This was a response to a Craigslist ad that I posted. The singer and guitar player have known each other for 10 years or so, and have a lot of material down. They've played with the drummer for a month or so, and just brought me in to play bass yesterday - turns out the drummer works at my company. Small world.

very cool. What kind of stuff are you guys doing?

• Members

At the core, it's mainly Rock n Roll Stuff like

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Led Zeppelin (the singer can actually do pretty well w/ Led Zep), White Stripes

but we're working in some other styles too - Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley, the Police, etc.

Mainly I like what we're NOT playing - Jesse's Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Blister in the Sun, Jenny (867-5309), Brown Eyed Girl, My Own Worst Enemy, etc.

• Members

At the core, it's mainly Rock n Roll Stuff like

Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Stone Temple Pilots, Sublime, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Led Zeppelin (the singer can actually do pretty well w/ Led Zep), White Stripes

but we're working in some other styles too - Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley, the Police, etc.

Mainly I like what we're NOT playing - Jesse's Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Blister in the Sun, Jenny (867-5309), Brown Eyed Girl, My Own Worst Enemy, etc.

Do they happen to be in Highspire? And is the Singers name Aaron?

• Members

Highspire, but the singer's name is Jordan.

Did you respond to the same ad?

Jordan that's it. I don't know why i was thinking Aaron.

Yea I responded and we went back and forth a few times but nothing ever came of it. they wanted me to stop out on a Wednesday or something but I couldn't because I didn't have enough advance notice. Then I emailed them like a week or two ago to see if they were still looking and the guy told me to come out that night but I couldn't (again the notice thing) so it just never happend. No biggie though. I'm really hoping this thing I'm attempting to put together works out

• Members

Werd - well good luck - you've been working on putting that project together for a while now, right?

I'm not too focused in on any particular style, I just hate playing cheese, my schedule doesn't allow me to practice/play much more than 1-2 times/week, and don't want to work with d-bags. It seems simple enough, but it's incredibly hard to find.

Archived