Which Ric To Buy?

sspear

• CMS Author

If it's a really old 4001, the p'ups were different...."Toaster" neck and "Horseshoe" bridge, vs the identical "high gain" found on later 4001 and all 4003. You can still get a version of the T & H p'ups on the vintage replicas.

The early 4001 also had a .047pF cap in the bridge pickup tone circuit that acted as a HPF. It was later removed as well and is not present on the 4003.

• Members

I think that Ric has improved on the PUP's since the 4001 so unless you are going after vintage collectors item Go with the 4003 and they hold their value whatever you buy it for today can probably be sold for the same price you paid for it 2 years down the road. as the case for the 4001 I bought one back in the 70's for $400.00 and New made $1000.00 profit from it a couple of years back

• Moderators

I've been a Fender guy all my life but lately I got the Rickenbacker jones. What is the difference in the sound of the pups on the 4003 and 4001? Money wise of course the 4003 is more within my reach.
:idea:

From all reports, the 4000 series has only gotten better over time. No reason to pay a premium for an older instrument that is out of warranty and may not have been as good to begin with. Unless there is a specific reason to buy a 4001, I'd recommend the 4003.

Archived