Ampeg vs. Tech 21 / Ampeg vs. Fender

Beskid

• Members

Hi there!

Soon (i hope so) I will have to make choice ragarding my bass amplification!

I have two options: to buy head and later buy a cab or buy combo.

In the view of the fact that we do not have variaty of brands here, I stoped at such options:

Heads:

Ampeg SVT-3PRO vs. Tech 21 Landmark 300

Combos:

Ampeg BA300/210 vs. Fender Bassman 250/210

The problem is that abovestated models are not in stock right now (besides Ampeg and Tech 21 are supplied by different distributors so no A/B for the heads even in case they are both available). If anybody had to deal with the mentioned amps, I kindly ask you to express your opinions regarding these devices:) .

P.S. Is it possible to reach quality sound out of hybrid heads/combos at apartment volume level (without blowing out the window:D )?

• Members

I have an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro. I love the thing for what is it, a hybrid 450 watt head. It does its thing very well. Personally I saw the light of tube amps and have never looked back but the SVT-3 Pro has a nice warm punchy tone. Plus it you know how to dial it it can get pretty loud. Most people boost the lows too much and end up cutting down on the head read. It'll growl but no distortion without a pedal. I find the graphic EQ is great for dialing in rooms and the main EQ for tone. I still use it for silent recording and it works well for that also. Plus you can alter the tone by changing out the tubes.

For a hybrid amp I'd give it a 8 or 9 out of 10.

• Members

Hi there!

Ampeg BA300/210 vs. Fender Bassman 250/210

You can't really compare those two. Ampeg makes bass amps and speakers. Fender... well... I'm still not sure what they do.

If those are your choices, I would get a head and a cab. Those are pretty stout combos you listed. To me, a combo should be easy to transport, but loud enough for rehearsals and small gigs.

Besides, the heads you listed are solid workhorses.

Just my .02

• Members

to Grumpy Polecat

Yes, price is the issue (Taking into consideration that I will have to pay the second part of the price for my Warwick that is to arrive... but... enough I'm not EMO :D). At first I plan to spend around 1000-1100$.

The price of Tech 21 - is 985$ here, Fender is 1048$ !!! (in US if I'm not mistaken around 640). And I shall recieve prices for Ampeg in a couple of days.

I do intend to play outdoors but it won't happen soon. I'm a beginner.

to wotamess

No, we not in the EU yet. And I believe that with our {censored}ed up goverment I will tell this "yet" in 5 or 7 years also, unless there will be real REVOLUTION. Below is the link to the article about cars of our higher-official (it's in Ukrainian but you will grasp the main idea):

http://www.tabloid.com.ua/news/2007/3/15/1394.htm

Believe me, sometimes you can encounter 4 Bentleys parked in a row!!!

Notice: the average salary in Ukraine according to official statistics is 220-230$/month...

• Members

If those are your choices, I would get a head and a cab. Those are pretty stout combos you listed. To me, a combo should be easy to transport, but loud enough for rehearsals and small gigs.

Besides, the heads you listed are solid workhorses.

Just my .02

Thanks for reply:) . Hhmmm... regarding transportability - I'm 6' and 175lb (6 days per week of work out + boxing);)

• Members

beskid:

I was asking so I could hopefully get some other options for you, but I have pretty much no idea at all what you can get in your country. Looks like you're going to be stuck with tariffs no matter what, which is going to raise your costs considerably. That being the case, you will want to make your choice carefully.

If I were you I'd look at the used market right now. For one thing it will cut your costs and eliminate the tariffs, but it will also let you get something adequate that won't be so much of an investment while you're still learning.

Generally speaking, a solid state or hybrid combo will be the best choice for apartment life. They tend to sound better at low volumes than tube amps, which shine more when cranked up. (just my opinion, and I'm sure many will disagree.)

There are lots and lots of amps that fit in this category, but as I said, I have no idea about the market in the Ukraine.

Out of your choices above I'd be wanting the Ampeg combo, but there's a lot more cost there, as you noted. So, maybe not...

Personally, I'm not real impressed with the Bassman. I think the Big F is just whoring out the legendary name, if you know what I mean (but then again, I never liked bassmans as bass amps. As guitar amps its another thing altogether!)

So go out to the music store or pawn shop and check out what's available. Just make sure you count to ten before buying anything. Another, better deal may be just around the corner.

• Members

to Grumpy Polecat

Ok, I've understood your point. Here in Kiev we have two major distributors of music instruments.

The first can provide the following brands that more or less ralate to bass amplification: Ampeg, Fender, Peavey, SWR, Ibanez, Marshall.

The second: Warwick, Tech 21 and Line 6.

Basically that's all.

Of course I can go to Moscow and try Hartke, Genz Benz and Gallien-Krueger (they also have Epifany, EBS and Aguilar but these are in another league), but there will be no warranty that those amps will be available + travelling cost.

P.S. "Out of your choices above I'd be wanting the Ampeg combo, but there's a lot more cost there, as you noted. So, maybe not..." - actually extra charge for Ampeg is much lower then for Fender (15-20% to 40-50%), but I will know for sure tomorrow

Actually

• Members

From what you have avalible to you my choice would be AMPEG or PEAVEY. I use ampeg an SVT 350H. but peavey will probably be less expensive and they sound great and are basicly bullet proof you can't break them even if you try.

As far as head and cab or combo I'd go for the head and cab for more versitility but a combo is more convenite if you have to move it around a lot. As for power get something in the 200-300 watt range If you can It may sound like a lot of power right now but down the road you'll wish you had more.

• Members

Thanks for reply:) . Hhmmm... regarding transportability - I'm 6' and 175lb (6 days per week of work out + boxing)
;)

I wasn't implying that you were weak. But you're looking at 2x10 combos. My point is, why not just get a head and 2x10 cab (or some other type of cab)? It'll probably sound better... be more scalable... and will be easier to move around. Just because you CAN lift something heavy... doesn't mean you should HAVE to. :thu:

• Members

to PaulyWally

I wasn't implying that you were weak. But you're looking at 2x10 combos. My point is, why not just get a head and 2x10 cab (or some other type of cab)? It'll probably sound better... be more scalable... and will be easier to move around. Just because you CAN lift something heavy... doesn't mean you should HAVE to.

Oh, it's OK. I didn't even think about that ("implying that you were weak");) . Frankly I tend towards head+cab but... eerrr... $$$ issue mostly. I choose those two particular heads because SVT-3PRO is actually used by the pros (Trujillo, Khar'kov (bass player of very popular heavy metal band in the Post-Soviet territory) and others). Tech 21 Landmark draw my attention because I heard a lot of positive replies about SansAmp Bass Driver then went to their site listened to the samples (which cannot be completely accurate but nevertheless...) liked them, after that read some rave reviews on this head here...

Altogether I just want to buy a device that will be a keeper (have I used this word correctly?:confused::D )

Archived