Ashdown or Ibanez?

steve_man

• Members

Okay, we need a good solid, medium sized bass amp for our church. It gets moved quite a bit, so a big cab will not work. I have an Ibanez SW-100 out on approval from our local music shop. It sounds fine in our smaller youth room. However, we also use it in worship in a pretty large (600-700 seats) auditorium. I noticed the Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 on the Musician's Friend page. It's about the same price, but does not have the tilt-back feature that the Ibanez does.

Anybody have experience with either one of these? Thanks.

• Members

Besides Ibanez only make basses!
;)

And they do make some NICE one's at that. Here's one I have a bit of GAS for.

307591.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-BTB200-Electric-4String-Bass?sku=517952

I'm trying to stay Dean loyal but man, that's a nice looking bass. :D

P.S.

The DO make amps too:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/navigation/ibanez-guitars-pedals-gear-bass-amplifiers-speakers?N=100001+304541+201105&page=1

• Members

I can't play any Ashdowns around here. Does the "deep" switch really improve the bottom end? I've been pretty impressed with the Ibanez so far. We used it in the main auditorium tonight, and it sounded good. Should I order the EB model from Musicians Friend and compare them?

• Members

Not interested in a used amp. Too many things that can go wrong. Plus, evilbay is getting more crazy every day. I've bought several amps and guitars off of ebay, and have been burned more than once. I'm through buying gear off of ebay. Thanks for the heads up, though.

I'm still curious about the deep switch, and just how deep the sound is out of that 15" sub. The Ibanez we have is nice, but it's the same price, and only 100 watts, versus the 180 watt Ashdown.

What about reliability? Are the Ashdowns solid?

• Members

Only problem I have had with my Ashdown Electric Blue is that my cat scratches it (they aren't made with a carpet covering anymore) and it's not the easiest to carry as it only has the one handle.

The Deep switch thikens up the sound, good if you feel like a boost without fiddling with the E.Q but I personaly don't use it much, unless I want to get an ultra bassy tone.

Ashdowns are solid. Electric Blues are probably the amps that get the least attention when it comes to being put together and the parts might be the cheapest. But by god they are better than any other combo's at the same price!

Highly reccomended.

• Members

Only problem I have had with my Ashdown Electric Blue is that my cat scratches it (they aren't made with a carpet covering anymore) and it's not the easiest to carry as it only has the one handle.

The Deep switch thikens up the sound, good if you feel like a boost without fiddling with the E.Q but I personaly don't use it much, unless I want to get an ultra bassy tone.

Ashdowns are solid. Electric Blues are probably the amps that get the least attention when it comes to being put together and the parts might be the cheapest. But by god they are better than any other combo's at the same price!

Highly reccomended.

My cat scratches my EB too!

Great amp though - I've got the 180-watt with the 15" speaker - usually just use the Deep and Bright switches for my sound, but the sub-harmonic generator is nice every now and then for some extra bottom.

John

• Members

Just found a sale on an Ashdown MAG C115-300 1X15 300 WATT BASS COMBO. Picked it up for $359 with free shipping. It ended up only being $10 more than the 180 watt electric blue model. Should be here in about a week. Thanks for the heads up on the MAG models!

Archived