Ampeg heads and cabs

countrybass

• Members

Hi Guys. I have a question pertaining to the differences of some of the Ampeg rigs. SVT-VR head vs. SVT-CL, and as far as cabs, the SVT-810 AV vs. the SVT 810E. As some of you may remember from previous posts of mine, I am playing again after a 17 year lay off. I had an audition last night. Not only was it the first time I've played with others in almost 2 decades, it was the first time I've ever played a bass with a band. I was a guitar player. I think it went well. I was nervous, but they were at least smiling. Or maybe it was laughing. Anyways, if I get the gig I would like to have some good equipment. One thing that I did find out is that I don't need a 5 string. Do I need to change my screen name then? lol!! It just screwed me up anyways. So as far as an axe, it's between the Fender American delux J or P bass.

• CMS Author

Hi Guys. I have a question pertaining to the differences of some of the Ampeg rigs. SVT-VR head vs. SVT-CL, and as far as cabs, the SVT-810 AV vs. the SVT 810E. As some of you may remember from previous posts of mine, I am playing again after a 17 year lay off. I had an audition last night. Not only was it the first time I've played with others in almost 2 decades, it was the first time I've ever played a bass with a band. I was a guitar player. I think it went well. I was nervous, but they were at least smiling. Or maybe it was laughing. Anyways, if I get the gig I would like to have some good equipment. One thing that I did find out is that I don't need a 5 string. Do I need to change my screen name then? lol!! It just screwed me up anyways. So as far as an axe, it's between the Fender American delux J or P bass.

The SVT-VR has, obviously, a case styled more like the 70's era SVT, and the internals were changed to be a bit more like the 70's SVT model. An exact replica is nearly impossible since the original tubes are really difficult to find. Hearing vintage 70's SVT's and the SVT-CL, there's not a lot of difference, and all three amps sound great. You really can't go wrong with any all-tube SVT model.

• Members

The 810AV and the 810E are the same exact cabs with different grille cloth. Too bad you don't live closer to me, I've got an 810E for sale right now in great condition at a great price.
;)

Can't help you out on the other one though.
:(

I live about halfway between you two. You can drop it off here...

• Members

The 810AV and the 810E are the same exact cabs with different grille cloth. Too bad you don't live closer to me, I've got an 810E for sale right now in great condition at a great price.
;)

Can't help you out on the other one though.
:(

Just out of curiousity, how much you askin' for the 810?

• Members

Doc:

Don't toss the 5string away yet. As you learn more about playing bass you'll figure out why you have it.

BTW, whereabouts in Pbgh night you be? I have folks in Mt Lebanon that I go see usually in early July. Maybe we could hook up for a few.

(I'm between Mansfield and Cols, OH)

Archived