Serious questions about my new vocation.

Grumpy_Polecat

• Members

I'm just wondering a few things, and since you are the only international audience I know to ask, I thought I'd shoot it out here.

Do you read fiction?

If so, what flavor?

Do you prefer actual books to ebooks?

If so, why?

What sort of price are you willing to pay for the work of an 'unknown'?

I need to know this as I have a significant bit of work (around 70,000 words) that I am really close to shopping out, but since the per-word rate really hasn't gone up in 75 years (while the value of money has headed in the opposite direction) I'm wondering if I should take the conventional approach or not. I'm co-writing this with one person who has known me my entire life, my brother.

We've all seen the music industry change, and we've seen it have some growing pains along the way. So any kind of feel for the present climate I can get is useful.

The book itself is actually a movie written as a book. So many good books have been turned into {censored}ty movies we thought if we wrote a {censored}ty book a good movie might come of it in the end. The genre is 'film noir' and speculative sarcasm. It's meant to be funny though some may not see it as such. Douglas Adams could be considered a significant influence on the writing style, but Quentin Tarantino is in there along with pretty much everything else we've ever seen, read or heard.

The book is rife with musical, cinematic, comedic and literary references, the framework of which we managed to write a story around, attempting to be topical yet not dated.

If I tell you more I'll either wind up giving the plotline (pathetic though it may be) away, or having to include this message as a chapter itself just for the increased word count.

Anyway... Any insight or opinion you may have is useful and interesting to me.

• Members

I read a lot of fiction. I tend to read slightly twisted stories, like Chuck palahniuk's books, intelligent comedic fiction like Tom Robbin's, Kurt Vonnegut's and Christopher Moore's books, as well as well crafted Sci Fi(Issiac Asimov, Orson Scott Card).

I only buy real books, not ebooks. I typically pay $8-14 a book. I'd rather buy from a new author than go back to a trusted one.

Good luck!

• Members

About the same, $8-14 or so.

Never bought an ebook, never will. I can't sit at a computer screen long enough to read, so I would rather have a paperback that I can take with me when travelling.

Yeah, I like science fiction. But I have trouble getting into the D&D-type stories. Probably doesn't help you, but that's me!

• Members

I have thousands of ebooks on my computer... Guess how many I've opened even once... Sitting at a computer is annoying firstly because it's not as comfortable as a couch or a bed. It's a pain to constantly scroll as opposed to just turning a page. Looking at a monitor that long gives anyone a headache. Plus it's fun to pass books around and sell/buy.

I read any/everything. I like scifi, spy, mystery, horror... I only buy paperbacks, so $10 max. If it's a specialty book of some kind I can see myself paying more, but that rarely happens. I have often bought the works of someone not known, but only through recommendations. I don't read often enough to have my time spoiled with a crappy book. If a friend tells me such and such is great though, I won't have a problem plopping down for it.

• Members

I have thousands of ebooks on my computer... Guess how many I've opened even once... Sitting at a computer is annoying firstly because it's not as comfortable as a couch or a bed. It's a pain to constantly scroll as opposed to just turning a page. Looking at a monitor that long gives anyone a headache. Plus it's fun to pass books around and sell/buy.

I read any/everything. I like scifi, spy, mystery, horror... I only buy paperbacks, so $10 max. If it's a specialty book of some kind I can see myself paying more, but that rarely happens. I have often bought the works of someone not known, but only through recommendations. I don't read often enough to have my time spoiled with a crappy book. If a friend tells me such and such is great though, I won't have a problem plopping down for it.

I've also got thousands upon thousands of ebooks. I rarely read them though, except for reference. A lot of mine are computer related, which can be quite helpful. I've also got tons of fiction, though i've read very little of it.

I prefer a physical book too, because I like to read on the crapper, or other places that an ebook wouldn't be easily carried. :(

• Members

I've also got thousands upon thousands of ebooks. I rarely read them though, except for reference. A lot of mine are computer related, which can be quite helpful. I've also got tons of fiction, though i've read very little of it.

I prefer a physical book too, because I like to read on the crapper, or other places that an ebook wouldn't be easily carried.
:(

Exactly. Most of my e-books are tech related that I didn't feel like plopping $50 for. I have plenty of recreational e-books to read, yes, but... Why?

That also reminds me, I know a lot of people who read only when there is nothing else to do. On the sub, on breaks at work, etc. I read a little most nights but I do the majority of it at the fire station when I'm on shift and done with training. Paper triumphs.

• Members

Both my wife and I read a ton of fiction and we'll pay $5-25 on a book, depending on the author. Also, I've read that, if you give two groups the exact same information, one on a computer screen and the other on paper, the paper group will have much better retention, (I read it once, about 10 years ago. Not saying it's law, just that I read it.). Because of that, I'll always choose a paper book over an ebook.

• Members

Both my wife and I read a ton of fiction and we'll pay $5-25 on a book, depending on the author. Also, I've read that, if you give two groups the exact same information, one on a computer screen and the other on paper, the paper group will have much better retention, (I read it once, about 10 years ago. Not saying it's law, just that I read it.). Because of that, I'll always choose a paper book over an ebook.

Did you read that on paper or the computer screen?

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback. I asked this over at ebassist too and the overwhelming majority (100%) is that REAL books are good! Which is what I suspected.

Here's another question though: Does the front- and back-matter (the blurbs on the covers and flaps) influence you in making a purchase, especially if its not an author you already know?

Any other comments?

• Members

I generally pick authors I've heard about in some way. The cover doesn't mean much. Some books, instead of a very brief summary of the first pages/chapters, have a piece of text from the book on the back. I hate that. So I guess the back matters. I'd rather have some idea what the book is about before I go into it without of course too much being revealed.

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback. I asked this over at ebassist too and the overwhelming majority (100%) is that REAL books are good! Which is what I suspected.

Here's another question though: Does the front- and back-matter (the blurbs on the covers and flaps) influence you in making a purchase, especially if its not an author you already know?

Any other comments?

Doesn't the publisher have full control of that aspect?

Archived