Is it ok for me to use an instrument cable to connect my GK to my cab?

baracuda2004

• Members

Bump.

Anybody actually seen a cab or head damaged by using an instrument cable in place of a speaker cable? Not that I doubt that it can happen, I'm just curious to see what the chances actually are.

I did it twice. Back around '99, I was using my SWR 10" combo (with 10" extension) at Cedar Point in one of their shows. About halfway through the day, the amp cut out and just started buzzing. Luckily, there was an SWR authorized tech in Sandusky, so I took the amp there. He said that there was a couple of things on the board that completely fried, but didn't know why. Anyway, it was replaced under warranty and I kept using the instrument cable.

The second time it happened was a week later. I happened to have the cord in the case when I brought it in, and the guy looked at the cable, said "You seriously weren't using this to connect them, were you?" and then explained everything. I had to pay full price for the repairs that time (around $200), but he tossed in an actual speaker cable for free.

Don't take the chance. Don't possibly ruin your amp because you were too cheap to spend $20 on the proper cable.

• CMS Author

Bump.

Anybody actually seen a cab or head damaged by using an instrument cable in place of a speaker cable? Not that I doubt that it can happen, I'm just curious to see what the chances actually are.

Yup, I've had buddies do this, short the cable when the insulation melted, and damage the amp. Both gave me the, "hey, it's no problem, I do this all the time". Ok.

Would you attempt to use the same 24ga instrument cable to power five 100w bulbs?

• Members
Would you attempt to use the same 24ga instrument cable to power five 100w bulbs?

Why not? I wired my entire basement on one circuit with 28ga wire.:confused:
I only have a computer, 4 flourescent lights, a drill press, a grinder, 2 amps, a television, and a paper shredder on that circuit. Seems fine to me.
C7

• CMS Author

Why not? I wired my entire basement on one circuit with 28ga wire.
:confused:
I only have a computer, 4 flourescent lights, a drill press, a grinder, 2 amps, a television, and a paper shredder on that circuit. Seems fine to me.

C7

Cool. If you've got a minute, I've got this insurance policy here...can you sign it?

Archived