Is it ok for me to use an instrument cable to connect my GK to my cab?

baracuda2004

• Members

Thing is I just went and got my rig from the practice room, and set all the cables in a little bag to the side, then I walked out without the bag and didn't realize it till I got about a mile from my house. It's 20 miles back to the band room. So would it hurt anything to use an instrument cable or am I driving?

• Members

This is definitely NOT fine. I'm not going to go into all the detail here - it's been discussed in numerous threads and there's plenty of info on this if you do a little surfing.

Yes, it will "work" for "a while" but you are taking a HUGE risk to damage your gear.

• Members

This is definitely NOT fine. I'm not going to go into all the detail here - it's been discussed in numerous threads and there's plenty of info on this if you do a little surfing.

Yes, it will "work" for "a little bit" but you are taking a HUGE risk to damage your gear.

dammit I was just about to plug it in when I saw this post

• Members

The short story is, if you're not pushing enough watts to overcome the amperage capability of the instrument cable, you *could* get away with it indefinetly - BUT, if you ARE pushing enough wattage through it to short out the instrument cable, you could cook your amp in less than a minute... Length also plays a part in this, but not all that much...

- georgestrings

• Members

Just take some regular speaker wire like you'd use to wire your home stereo, 18ga or whatever. Pull the two halves apart about 3 inches, and cut one wire about 3/4" shorter than the other, on both ends, making sure the long and short ends are the same wire on both sides. Strip just the tip of the long wire, and just the tip of the short wire.

Shove the long end into the input of the cab, all the way, and then use some scotch tape to secure the short wire to the outside metal part of the jack. Repeat with the output of the amp.

Now. Turn the amp on, and give yourself some volume. With your bass plugged in, hit the E string and then fiddle with the wires until you get sound. Once you do, use some more scotch tape to hold the wires still, and rock out.

C7

• Members

Just take some regular speaker wire like you'd use to wire your home stereo, 18ga or whatever. Pull the two halves apart about 3 inches, and cut one wire about 3/4" shorter than the other, on both ends, making sure the long and short ends are the same wire on both sides. Strip just the tip of the long wire, and just the tip of the short wire.

Shove the long end into the input of the cab, all the way, and then use some scotch tape to secure the short wire to the outside metal part of the jack. Repeat with the output of the amp.

Now. Turn the amp on, and give yourself some volume. With your bass plugged in, hit the E string and then fiddle with the wires until you get sound. Once you do, use some more scotch tape to hold the wires still, and rock out.

C7

• Members

C7

I know times have been rough for you lately, but i very seriously doubt that my death by electocution would make you feel better. Or would it:evil:

• Members

I know times have been rough for you lately, but i very seriously doubt that my death by electocution would make you feel better. Or would it:evil:

You won't get electrocuted. There's not nearly enough current coming out of your amp to hurt you.

• Members

For a short run (like between a head and cab) it shouldn't be an issue, youre not pushing 800+ watts for rehearsal are you? I used one for years to ook up my cab to my head. it is not preferred or recommended, but t will work in a pinch...

• Members

This is definitely
NOT
fine. I'm not going to go into all the detail here - it's been discussed in numerous threads and there's plenty of info on this if you do a little surfing.

Yes, it will "work" for "a while" but you are taking a HUGE risk to damage your gear.

+1

• Members

You won't get electrocuted. There's not nearly enough current coming out of your amp to hurt you.

Depends on the amp. Mine at full power delivers 116v and 17 amps. That's enough to electrocute a rhinoceros. It's also enough to set a guitar cord on fire. You never want to use a guitar cord in place of a speaker cord unless you're using about a 3 watt amp.

• Members

Depends on the amp. Mine at full power delivers 116v and 17 amps. That's enough to electrocute a rhinoceros. It's also enough to set a guitar cord on fire. You never want to use a guitar cord in place of a speaker cord unless you're using about a 3 watt amp.

:D :D :D

Speakons are the best way to go.

• Members

I've been using instrument cables to run my monitors, and I've never had a problem with it. I'm only putting 75w into them but the runs are fairly long.

Has anybody actually seen/heard/experienced a failure due to the cable melting/shorting etc?

Archived