Fender MIA or MIM...?

fenderBOYroy

• Members

Whats up fellas?! New to the Bass forum. I play electric guitar, and I gig regularly, but am looking to buy a bass (new/used), preferably a Fender Jazz fairly inexpensive as I am going to learn bass.

My question is... are bass players as anal as guitar players about where there bass was made. I know personally the tonal and playability differences between the Made in U.S.A. fender guitars from the Made In Mexico, or even the Made in Japan guitars. Are basses as distinguishable(*sp)? Can I get away with playing a cheaper bass, for now anyway?

• Members

Whats up fellas?! New to the Bass forum. I play electric guitar, and I gig regularly, but am looking to buy a bass (new/used), preferably a Fender Jazz fairly inexpensive as I am going to learn bass.

My question is... are bass players as anal as guitar players about where there bass was made. I know personally the tonal and playability differences between the Made in U.S.A. fender guitars from the Made In Mexico, or even the Made in Japan guitars. Are basses as distinguishable(*sp)? Can I get away with playing a cheaper bass, for now anyway?

Some are...some aren't. I'd say most of the time you get what you pay for. A $100 bass is going to sound and play like a $100 bass.

A lot of people here play the MIM Fenders and say they aren't much different from a MIA, but I disagree. your best bet is to try both out and decide which you like better

• Members

From my perspective with Fender guitars and basses is that youre not guarenteed a quality instrument until you get to the MIJ or MIA lines. There are some decent MIM's as well but you will need to weed through them a bit more to see if you can find one that grabs you. I own both a CIJ and MIA Fender Bass and am a Fender guy through and through. That being said, I would not hesitate to recommend a Schecter Custom, Elite, C4, etc or a Spector over the MIM Fenders. I think they are a far better value. I want one.

• Members

ITS SO WIERD THAT YOU SAID THAT!!! because I was literally JUST looking a a Schecter... this one to be exact...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Custom5-Bass?sku=513050

Being a Fender guy I didn't even consider going another way, but I played a gig this weekend and the bass player was playing a Schecter and it sounded pretty good. A Schecter instead of a cheaper Fender being that the $500 give or take is my budget is a great alternative....

What do you think? Have any of you ever played one?

• Members

Some are...some aren't. I'd say most of the time you get what you pay for. A $100 bass is going to sound and play like a $100 bass.

A lot of people here play the MIM Fenders and say they aren't much different from a MIA, but I disagree. your best bet is to try both out and decide which you like better

I've owned both, and despite the fact that I love both of my MIM Jazz basses, I really wish I still had my MIA Jazz. That bass sounded so amazing without any mods, where my MIMs sound good after replacing the pickups and bridge. Also, you have more color and wood options with the MIA basses.

But, there is something to be said about Fender's quality control. Even the MIA basses have bad ones in the bunch. Play a few to find the one that's right for you.

• Members

ITS SO WIERD THAT YOU SAID THAT!!! because I was literally JUST looking a a Schecter... this one to be exact...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Custom5-Bass?sku=513050

Being a Fender guy I didn't even consider going another way, but I played a gig this weekend and the bass player was playing a Schecter and it sounded pretty good. A Schecter instead of a cheaper Fender being that the $500 give or take is my budget is a great alternative....

What do you think? Have any of you ever played one?

I have that bass and a MIA Fender P Deluxe V, and I can say that I love both of them. Just depends on what tone you're looking for. The Schecter has rounder lows, much like a Jazz, where the P is punchier. (Do I sound like a guy who reviews for a magazine? Don't worry, no food references. :) ) I picked up my P used for $800 (they are $1300-$1400 new) and the Schecter for just over $500 and I don't regret either.

I know that I wouldn't be able to recoup the cost of the Schecter in a resale because people would expect to spend about $350-$400 for a used one. The P is no longer being made, so I can see me getting nearly a grand for it. If that concerns you, you should think about it.

For me, it's about the sound, playability, and my enjoyment. I'm lucky, I have both (did I mention my Ric 4003?), and if I had to choose just one of the two (I wouldn't give up my Ric), I would keep the P. Why? Because it's a 'dream' bass, it looks bad, it lets my attitude show when I'm playing, and I just plain enjoy it.

I think the Schecter might magically become this very soon:

417297.jpg

Played on the other day and loved it.

• Members

The new MIA J's have S-1, which is a nice feature as it offers the traditional J, as well as near P tone.

MIM's are nice - with upgraded strings a MUST. MIM's are probably the closest current Fender production instrument to a genuine Vintage Fender bass.

For something even less expensive, the Vintage Modifies Squire J's have gotten good reviews, but they leave me a little cold (painted on blocks & heavyweight ash body). While I'm generally impressed with my S-VM P, I'm thinking the MIM's (both P & J) alder body may be somewhat better for bass (agathas seems fine for guitar) than the Squire P's agathas body.

I own a MIA S-1 Jazz, MIM fretless J, a MIM "Hoppus" P & a S-VM P.

Overall, if the budget allows & S-1 is not that important, I'd say the Fender MIM's are the "best bang for the buck" (see sig).

:cool:

• Members

Well, the pickups are not as good as they are on the American models. I bought a Mexican P-Bass about 10 years ago, and still have it. About 6 months after I bought it, I replaced the pickups with actives, and put a different pickguard on it about 4 years ago. As far as construction goes, I think they are just as good. For the difference in price, I would go for the American model. That way, you know the pickups are good. UNLESS you like to rebuild stuff...then go for the MIM model.

• Members

Well, the pickups are not as good as they are on the American models. I bought a Mexican P-Bass about 10 years ago, and still have it. About 6 months after I bought it, I replaced the pickups with actives, and put a different pickguard on it about 4 years ago. As far as construction goes, I think they are just as good. For the difference in price, I would go for the American model. That way, you know the pickups are good. UNLESS you like to rebuild stuff...then go for the MIM model.

Though I'm not familiar with the mim's from 10 yrs ago, the current ones are VERY decent to excellent instruments, only exception being the stock strings & the occasional "bad-one" that someone runs across. But bad-ones happen with far more expensive instruments as well. For example, I was shocked to learn that one could pay thousands for a Custom USA Sadowsky . . . & it could have "dead spots" just like many far less expensive "mass produced" instruments. Personally, I wouldn't be a happy camper spending thousands & having the same "issue" as a few hundred dollar mass produced instrument . . .

:eek:

mim's ROCK!

:thu:

imo

• Members

What's the saying - Made in Mexico by Mexicans, or Made in America by Mexicans - pretty much sums up the reality of this situation, IMO...

QC on MIAs is typically a bit better than on MIMs, but you'll sometimes find MIMs that exceed build quality on some MIAs.... MIAs will have better electronics, but it doesn't cost all that much to level that particular playing field... Hardware is a wash, IMO...

To me, the most important difference(as a player) between the 2 is the graphite rods in the MIA necks - makes those necks more stable - although anyone with a tiny bit of set-up skill can counter that difference with occasional use of an allen wrench on an "as needed" basis...

- georgestrings

• Members

I've played MIM's that will cut your hand with their fine fretwork and chunks of wood missing in the fine fretboard . I own a MIA and it's perfect . Also I do like the older MIJ or CIJ , some of them are super nice . If it's MIA the workers must be legal , and it's not really fair to say that Fender is using illegal workers , it's a bad joke , unless of course you have proof . But with so many fine American companies and politicians proven to use illegal workers than with such a great influence set by these people , I could see how it could happen .

• Members

What's the saying - Made in Mexico by Mexicans, or Made in America by Mexicans - pretty much sums up the reality of this situation, IMO...

Hmmm, not quite sure where to start here but there are a few more differences than location. How about the use of better woods, better pups, tighter specs, better necks, tuners and bridges? Who knows, they may even be made by actual white people! :eek::rolleyes:

FWIW, played the Fender 24's the other day, (made in Korea, probably not by Mexicans), and I was pretty impressed.

:wave:

• CMS Author

Considering the rich history of guitar lutherie in Mexico, I have no problem with my Fender being made by Mexicans in either USA or Mexico. There's absolutely NO point to that stupid "joke".

The MIA instruments are almost completely different from MIM. I've owned both, as opposed to what I suspect is the ownership history of many of those who comment. What parts do the two have in common? Strings? Fret wire? They look, feel and play like what they are....different instrments. This is not to say that MIM are bad, only that you do indeed get what you paid for.

• Members

A good bass is a good bass is a good bass. I have found with Fenders it's best to go to a store that has a lot of them, play every one on the wall, regardless of where it was made, and pick the best. I've played some expensive (As in an $1800 strat) artist sig guitars that were horrible and some MIM guitars that made me question taking out a few hundred more on a student loan.

Play them all, pick the best, leave the rest.

Dustin

• Members

a step up from the MIM basses are the newly redone highway one series. they have the badass2 bridge and a nitro finish that lets the wood breathe and age over time. they are a few hundred cheaper than the MIA standard basses and leaps and bounds better than MIM. might be worth a look if you already have not made your mind up.

• Members

If you can afford a MIA Fender, then get one. I have had both MIM and MIA and I could tell quite a difference in workmanship, playability and sound. That being said, some of the upper end Mexican basses are nice if you pick through. I still think that overall Schecters have better workmanship and playibility than the standard MIM Basses for about the same price and it wont need to be modded. Buy it used so you dont absorb the resale hit from it not being a Fender.

• Members
a step up from the MIM basses are the newly redone highway one series. they have the badass2 bridge and a nitro finish that lets the wood breathe and age over time. they are a few hundred cheaper than the MIA standard basses and leaps and bounds better than MIM. might be worth a look if you already have not made your mind up.

The Badass2 bridge sounds like a good idea. I bought a MIM Jazz bass to gig with and abuse and the two weak points were the bridge (the saddle screws slipping) and the plastic nut which broke at the outside of the G string and had to be replaced. Other than that the bass is very nice for a $400 bass.

• Members

One thing that I have found with my MIA Fenders that I almost feel like I can't live without is their truss rod system. They say it is graphite-lined. I have never seen a drawing or mechanical spec, but I can say that every time I've pulled it out of the case, the neck and action are in the same place that they were when I put it in the case. I haven't touched the truss rod on any of my basses in probably 4 years. And the setup and intonation are fantastic. (To be fair, I have adjusted saddle height when changing types of strings and I have made very rare, minor adjustments to the intonation using the screws at the end of the bridge.)

Conversely, I have heard stories of MIM basses taking serious neck warps. Even the Music Man Stingrays I used to own had to have the truss rods adjusted significantly after a weekend road-trip.

• Members
One thing that I have found with my MIA Fenders that I almost feel like I can't live without is their truss rod system. They say it is graphite-lined. I have never seen a drawing or mechanical spec, but I can say that every time I've pulled it out of the case, the neck and action are in the same place that they were when I put it in the case.

There are two carbon rods inside the neck, one on either side of the truss rod. Not only do they help the neck stay put, they also help with dead spots. I think that every bass is going to have dead spots to some extent but the stiffening rods are supposed to go a long way towards providing consistent tone all of the way up and down the neck.

Archived