Phil Jones suitcase or Markbass CMD121

jesso

• Members

Hey there,

I am getting really tired of hauling my Ampeg V4BH and Trace Elliot 15inch Cab around to lots of gigs, so Im going to retire them for pure recording/rehersal use. Plus I really like the ampeg and its starting to get a bit bashed up... Ideally I want somthing with no valves to worry about.

I want somthing light, portable, and able to compete with an enthusiastic drummer! (Dont we all?)

I think im gunna go with a combo for conveniences sake. Ive played some of the Markbass stuff and was impressed, but there are no dealers for the Phil Jones stuff here in Ireland, so I would have to buy before I try.

Ive read a lot of amazing stuff about them, and I like the idea of having 4 small speakers instead of one big one.

From what Ive read, either of these would be quite loud, and both get a lot louder with an extension cab if needed.

Which one would you go for?

Thanks guys!

• Members

Anyone else have 2cents?

I think that T. Alan pretty much summed it up. That being said, I was playing through a MB rig in GC last week and was able to produce a very loud pop that made the rig sound very different...and not in a good way. I'm guessing that the rig had been abused pretty badly before I got my hands on it though.

• Members

Well they seem to have a reputation as being pretty tough... (the Markbass stuff that is..)

There is a Markbass dealer nearby, so I can go try em all out in the shop.

They charge a bit more than mail order though, about 10% more expensive than thomann.

If I go for Markbass, at least I have somewhere to bring it back if somthing goes wrong. If I go for the Phil stuff its a case of re-packing and paying to send stuff off to a distant land... then waiting for it to come back.

This dosnt scare me too much though, cos I have a back up rig.

Does the Phil Jones stuff have a decent repution for reliability?

Thanks guys appreciate your input. These are the kind of decisions that you can end up regretting big time!

Jesso:)

• Members

I think that T. Alan pretty much summed it up. That being said, I was playing through a MB rig in GC last week and was able to produce a very loud pop that made the rig sound very different...and not in a good way. I'm guessing that the rig had been abused pretty badly before I got my hands on it though.

Gear abused at GC?:eek:

;):D

Archived