Cab(s) for a GK 400 RB-IV

xbassman

• Members

I just received the GK head I bought on da bay. $200! :)

Right now I have it hooked up the the 15 in my Ashdown combo.

Main reason I bought it is that the 69lb combo is heavier than I care to tote around. That and my daughter is gonna need a better amp than the 20W practice amp she is using now.

I am mainly looking @ Avatar Neo cabs because of $$.

That said....

My first thought was to get a 210 @ 8ohms. (Which would mate up well with the 15 built into my Ashdown) Then later get a 212 @ 8ohms to pair up with it to run the full 280W of the GK.

Then I got to thinking about the power handling of the cabs these days and wonder if the GK could effectively push the drivers.

B210 Neo @ 500W power handling.

B212 Neo @ 500W

It's got me wondering if a pair of SB112 Neo's (250W) would be more fitting to the task. (39 lbs ea definitely has it's appeal!)

Oh and WTF near the speaker jacks on the head it says "Average Power 210W Full Power 570W"

Power consumption maybe? :confused:

• Members

I run mine with a Genz-Benz 112T cab and I find it has incredible kick. I'm more than happy with the tone. I've used it mostly for church and small-room stuff and I'm always blown away by how good it sounds when it gets to moving air. At least 1 cab with 12's would be preferable to me.

Dustin

• Members

My only problem with the 212 wound be size and weight.

I bet that GB cab sounds awesome, but it costs as much as 2 Avatar SB112's.

I still wonder how a pair of 112's would stack up against the 212.

Are you talking about my GB cab? I'd say the Avatars are probably just as good. The only reason I have the GB is that I was able to get it used for $200. I actually was going to spend $300 on a used Aguilar, but the Genz came up at the right time.

I think a pair of 1x12's would a good idea. Personally, I like the fact that I can life my cab with one hand and carry it up/down stairs, etc. The only drawback would be if you wanted to run the 2 1x12 cabs with another cab. Another nice thing about the 2 12" cabs is that you can buy them one at a time :D

Dustin

• Members

Are you talking about my GB cab? I'd say the Avatars are probably just as good. The only reason I have the GB is that I was able to get it used for $200. I actually was going to spend $300 on a used Aguilar, but the Genz came up at the right time.

I think a pair of 1x12's would a good idea. Personally, I like the fact that I can life my cab with one hand and carry it up/down stairs, etc. The only drawback would be if you wanted to run the 2 1x12 cabs with another cab. Another nice thing about the 2 12" cabs is that you can buy them one at a time
:D

Dustin

Yeah...I was talkin about your GB.... heck of a deal for $200.

I am still getting used to the idea of running 12's for bass. Damn things have changed!

I like the idea of being able to use 1 or 2 cabs depending on the situation.

I would think 1 112 cab should be able to handle jam situations. (looking @ specs anyway)

That is assuming it can handle a fair amount of bottom end.

• Members

My only problem with the 212 wound be size and weight.

I bet that GB cab sounds awesome, but it costs as much as 2 Avatar SB112's.

I still wonder how a pair of 112's would stack up against the 212.

Firstly, if you signed up to be a bass player, one of the sad facts of life is that you're going to be moving some cabs that are big and bulky. That being said, the 212 neo isn't all that heavy. To look at it, you'd think that it weighs much more than it actually does. I was pretty surprised the first time I picked mine up.

edit: my next rig will probably be a 112/212.

• Members

Firstly, if you signed up to be a bass player, one of the sad facts of life is that you're going to be moving some cabs that are big and bulky. That being said, the 212 neo isn't all that heavy. To look at it, you'd think that it weighs much more than it actually does. I was pretty surprised the first time I picked mine up.

edit: my next rig will probably be a 112/212.

Well, I spent my time hauling a 215 and 2 115's when I was traveling, but now I have seen examples of lightweight rigs that get the job done.

When you are talking about a 112 and a 212, do you mean 2 8ohm cabs as a stack? or 2 4ohm cabs using either one or the other?

• Members

When you are talking about a 112 and a 212, do you mean 2 8ohm cabs as a stack? or 2 4ohm cabs using either one or the other?

Two 8ohm cabs. It gives me the option of taking 112, a 212 or both together and use them with just about any head.

• Members

Ya think a 400RB (280W) will efficiently drive them?

That's why I was thinking maybe 2 112's.

In order for a 112 to be enough, it has to be in a pretty small venue. Most of my venues would still require at least 212, which is much less of a hassle to carry than 2 112's. But, I'd still have a 112 for those really small gigs.

Archived