what mass email programs do you guys use?

catphish

• Members

Our mailing list has 500 people on it now, and a while back outlook started being a pain to use with that amount of people, so i switched to a mass email program. the program is even worse because it for some reason always gets stuck in spam, and requires multiple confirmations before people start getting the emails. I need something simple, good, and prefereably free, ornearly free.

Anybody?

• Members

Can't you just make a "group" in Outlook to where it'll send whatever you want to anyone in that group? We have 1000's of people in certain groups, and it never gets stuck.

Maybe it's an exchange thing, but I think I can do it at home too...

I

• Members

Yeah...try making a group. Actually...it's called a Distribution List. Sorry for the confusion. You can make one by clicking on the little dropdown arrow next to the "new" button. Then pick "distribution list" It should be pretty easy from there...

any tips on how to import the addresses from an excel spreadsheet?

• Members

Also, a lot of email programs will make a message as spam if too many addresses are included in one email.

It takes a little longer, but if you can make smaller groups, of say 75, and send them out that way, you'll have more messages get through to inboxes.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
:confused: can someone please go through the steps of how you use Gmail as the mailing list for your band(i ask because I just got a Gmail account for our band and I cant seem to put addresses in seperate groups in Gmail like I can in Yahoo or MSN mails,etc..) Am I missing something? How do you group them so that the business email addresses can be kept seperate from your fans/potential listener emails?? :idea:

• Members

If you export your spreadsheet to a CSV, gmail can import it from within the contacts area.

Also, you can create contact groups; in the contacts check someone and then use the pulldown to say 'Add contact to... new group'

Also, if your band has a website, your host may have distribution lists as a feature. It would be much easier for you to just send to a specific address instead of having to do them all from withing outlook.

• Members

If you export your spreadsheet to a CSV, gmail can import it from within the contacts area.

Also, you can create contact groups; in the contacts check someone and then use the pulldown to say 'Add contact to... new group'

Also, if your band has a website, your host may have distribution lists as a feature. It would be much easier for you to just send to a specific address instead of having to do them all from withing outlook.

thanks Stevey, but Im still not sure what you mean, I guess I'm an egghead but I have no clue as to what a CSV is.

Basically, we dont have our own website yet(only a MySpace and a CDBABY.COM page) though we might set one up later.

What I wanted to do is add code to these 2 pages so that anyone who wants to be added to our email list could type in their email info and I could then setup a 'contact group' in Gmail so that it would just mass email those people when we have shows, news,etc..

I tried doing what you said about creating a contact group(the checking someone in contacts and then using the pulldown to say "Add contact to..new group" BUT if I do that can I just check the title of that group whenever I want to send emails to all of them and it will do it, of must I still check them all individually too?:freak:

Also, I do NOT use Outlook, so will all this stuff still work?

• Members

You're on the right track, as far as the gmail groups goes. You can just send to a single group (i've got one labelled 'peeps'), and it will send to anyone marked as part of that group.

The CSV thing's pretty easy. From within excel, you can tell it you want to export your file as a CSV (which stands for "comma separated values"). Exporting it this way will turn it into a text file that something like excel, or any other program can interpret as information instead of having to know how to read excel's proprietary format. When you find that you've got a CSV, you can then tell gmail to import them from this file (in the contacts area).

And, if you weren't aware, hosting is pretty cheap now. You can get an account with A Small Orange for very little cash per month, but not much space (if you don't need much, it should be fine). If you want more space/bandwidth for hosting songs/pictures/etc, something like dreamhost can be a great deal. For ~$8/mo, you can get much more space and bandwidth than you could ever need.

With both though, you can set up mailing lists/et al.

• Members

You're on the right track, as far as the gmail groups goes. You can just send to a single group (i've got one labelled 'peeps'), and it will send to anyone marked as part of that group.

The CSV thing's pretty easy. From within excel, you can tell it you want to export your file as a CSV (which stands for "comma separated values"). Exporting it this way will turn it into a text file that something like excel, or any other program can interpret as information instead of having to know how to read excel's proprietary format. When you find that you've got a CSV, you can then tell gmail to import them from this file (in the contacts area).

And, if you weren't aware, hosting is pretty cheap now. You can get an account with A Small Orange for very little cash per month, but not much space (if you don't need much, it should be fine). If you want more space/bandwidth for hosting songs/pictures/etc, something like dreamhost can be a great deal. For ~$8/mo, you can get much more space and bandwidth than you could ever need.

With both though, you can set up mailing lists/et al.

Hey thanks Stevey, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this and the info about web hosts!!:thu:

• Members

In my current job we use Lotus Notes, personally I don't like it. It's not very reliable, also I don't like the fact that you have to "retrieve" your emails from the server. It gets annoying, I know you can set it to do automatically at intervals but tbh I prefer Outlook Express. I used that in my old job, and I also have set that up for my Dad's business.

• Members

In my current job we use Lotus Notes, personally I don't like it. It's not very reliable, also I don't like the fact that you have to "retrieve" your emails from the server. It gets annoying, I know you can set it to do automatically at intervals but tbh I prefer Outlook Express. I used that in my old job, and I also have set that up for my Dad's business.

I don't really like Lotus Notes OR Outlook, but to be fair, Outlook also retrieves your email from the server. Your copy of Notes doesn't grab it automatically? Weird.

Dogman: Not a problem at all. Did you get it your contacts imported into gmail? Any other questions?

• Members

I don't really like Lotus Notes OR Outlook, but to be fair, Outlook also retrieves your email from the server. Your copy of Notes doesn't grab it automatically? Weird.

Dogman: Not a problem at all. Did you get it your contacts imported into gmail? Any other questions?

yep, thanks buddy!:cool:

Archived