I'm thinking of changing my major to music...

AntiStuff

• Members

I am, and now I'm also double majoring in Computer Science. I decided I wanted to be able to support myself doing something I was actually educated in. Be prepared to spend all of your free time practicing, and if you don't think you want to do that, then don't be a music major.

• Members

From having a lot of friends that have graduated with a music degree, I find myself gigging and playing more than they are. The ones that got the music education degree do more in terms of educating children and teaching than playing themselves. The ones that have performance degrees have gone and gotten masters degrees in performance, only to work a day job, and maybe play on the weekend. There are a small number of old alumni that are out touring and stuff, but they'd tell you flat out that the degree had nothing to do with landing the gigs that they have.

Simply put, you don't need a music degree to gig around and make good money in the music business. If you want to invest the time and get the degree however, good luck; I hope you enjoy the inside of a practice room.

• Members

music education would be the best choice. at least at my school, you pretty much had to do all the same stuff as the performance majors so you might as well have something that could get you a good, salary job when you get out and still gig. one of my old HS band directors played in the local symphony and such, and the other gigs regularly with a wedding/cover band.

you could also go with a music engineering type degree. you'll still do a bunch of performance stuff with that too.

basically, with other types of music degrees besides strictly performance you'll get the playing skills and still have something a little more practical to rely on.

i wish i would've stayed with my music engineering path sometimes...

• Members

Good luck begging on the street.

Lets see Studio musician, Minister of Music Sound Engineer, Radio Broadcasting, Band Teacher, Band, Orchestra Symphony Director, Composer, Musician, song ,writer, Luthier,

just to name a few music related careers in the music industry that require Knowledge in music theory

there are only three professions that I know of that pretty much guarantees you will be doing what you were educated to do Doctors Lawyers and Metalurgists.

I know lots of guys who recieved a bachelors in engineering and start out in the drafting department.

just like everyone else regardless of your career field you start at the bottom of the totempole unless daddy owns the company.

• Members

i'm in music school for composition because i compose. it is my passion to create art. do i need the training? no. you don't have to go to school to be a musician. what i like is the depth of knowledge i find myself surrounded and challenged by. music does not have any rules except that people feel the need to create it. so, what i'm trying to say is, do what you want. but before you start studying, you should ask yourself if what you want to do is actually study music. no one at school will make you better composer or player. no one can assure you a job. you have to work to assure that. studying music, as well as most fields in college, is just an opportunity to learn and grow.

• Members

Lets see Studio musician, Minister of Music Sound Engineer, Radio Broadcasting, Band Teacher, Band, Orchestra Symphony Director, Composer, Musician, song ,writer, Luthier.

ALL of these are fields where many more people are competing to get the job than there are jobs available. My mother and four of my good friends were music majors. Only one of them current works with music as a living, and he is broke. All of them are talented as hell. You have to get very lucky to make money as a music major.

Frustratingly, this is a reality with all forms of art. Most fine art majors don't support themselves my painting either. There is very little money in art.

• Members

ALL of these are fields where many more people are competing to get the job than there are jobs available. My mother and four of my good friends were music majors. Only one of them current works with music as a living, and he is broke. All of them are talented as hell. You have to get very lucky to make money as a music major.

Frustratingly, this is a reality with all forms of art. Most fine art majors don't support themselves my painting either. There is very little money in art.

I know several people with music majors also and they have high paying careers within the music Related field, 2 are song writers 2 are DJ's 3 are ministers of music,4 0f them have their own Band and are studio musicians which pays exceptionally well and 1 is a High school Band Director/Teacher

you have to be willing to go where the Jobs are but the jobs are avalable and good paying jobs I might add

evidently you havent looked in the help wanted section in the Nashville news papers lots of Jobs for musicians and music related careers there

I will also say that I know a few people with music majors that are pitiful musicians but they are teaching music in elementary school.

There is very little money in anything if it is not marketed correctly.

a preson has to market themselves, Careers just dont come to you, you have to seek out employers who are looking to hire people with musical backgrounds

if you just settle for a job then that is what you will have is just a job.:thu:

• Members

Well i can speak from personal xp. I have a b.a. in philosophy. On top of that I have an MPA. I just took a job (starting monday) making less than I would like but enough with little related xp. But it has little to nothing to do with either degree that I have earned. Getting a degree is primarily jumping through the hoops in many cases. It is an "I tried" certificate. I loved philosophy and would not have changed that as my undergraduate degree, but i was planning on a graduate degree all along......... as far as art goes, my girlfriend was an art education major and she is currently an art teacher. There is job security in that, but teaching isn't the best paid profession. My brother on the other hand is very talented in auto-body, and is 18 months younger than I am, no degree, but makes more than me and my gf combined. So in all reality, I think that a degree is a prereq that proves that you tried and not much else. Being exceptional at what you do is the thing that will get you ahead. So pick something that you are good at/ have a knack for. Otherwise you are going to be just another face in a crowd.

Archived