Okay - Head and Cab it is...

Teleken

• Members

You folks made some great arguments for head+cab versus combo in the "Which 2x10 Combo" thread I started yesterday. Thanks again for all of your help.

I love the idea of the super light weight Genz Benz Neo head and their respective cabs. Here's the question - I want to ensure I'm gig ready for bar stuff if the opportunity presents itself. Would the Neo head and the Neo 1x12 be enough for bar gigs?

• Members

Does 2x10 versus 2x12 just come down to personal preference tonally speaking? I imagine this is a loaded question, but I'm compelled to ask anyway.

I realize these are newbie questions, but playing in a project studio is so different from a bar gig and I want to ensure I'm spending my money wisely.

• Members

Does 2x10 versus 2x12 just come down to personal preference tonally speaking? I imagine this is a loaded question, but I'm compelled to ask anyway.

Ya, it pretty much comes down to which one floats your boat. I've found though that, provided the manufacturer has done his design work correctly, a 212 is going to sound at least a bit louder than a 210. So, when I go to gigs and I only need one cab, I'll take the 212. As far as the home recording stuff is concerned, while I'm not a huge freak when it comes to this stuff, I usually run direct, leaving the cab out of the picture.

• Members

Ya, it pretty much comes down to which one floats your boat. I've found though that, provided the manufacturer has done his design work correctly, a 212 is going to sound at least a bit louder than a 210. So, when I go to gigs and I only need one cab, I'll take the 212. As far as the home recording stuff is concerned, while I'm not a huge freak when it comes to this stuff, I usually run direct, leaving the cab out of the picture.

Thanks - that's kind of what I figured - record the direct out from the head and use the cab for practice and live stuff. So I'm assuming in principle, it's much like electric guitar - more speaker surface means you're moving more air.

So I can see two possible ways to go - Neo-Pak head and a 2x12 GB Neo cabinet, or... For portability's sake, is it worth entertaining the possibility of 2 of the 1x12 GB Neo cabs? I can afford to go either route and although I'm not THAT weak - 2 cabs is cheaper than back surgery. ;)

• Members

I realize these are newbie questions, but playing in a project studio is so different from a bar gig and I want to ensure I'm spending my money wisely.

A 12" speaker has more area thus will move more air therefore you will get more volume or should I say more DB from a larger speaker.

• Members

I've gigged with a single 112 and a head a few times now. I guess it depends on how big the stage is and if you have PA support.

Was the single 12 enough to get over your drummer in practice sans PA? The Phoenix area is pretty good about PA support in most venues (read - bars) I'd play, but generally the practice PA in most bands I've been in is enough for vocals and that's about it.

• Members

I supprised that no one has said anything about a 1x15". Seems like if you an get it in a Neo it'd be light and put out more air then a single 10 or 12.
:D

There's actually a thread that I'm paying attention to over at TB about an ultralite homemade 115. Might be fun to see how it turns out.

• Members

I like a small 15 cab. I had (might still have) a Crate box that was very well designed and moved a lot of air. It was labelled as a 200 watt speaker. I ran my Hartke 3500 through it and filled any room we played in with big bass! I had a 2X10 cab to go on top of it, but rarely ever needed it.

My current combo is 1X15, I like it, I'm leaning toward 12's in my next rig, as we have a PA that carries the bottom pretty well.... I love the sound of 12's for bass

• Members

Hmm... I guess it's going to come down to play time and the "heave test." Gratefully thebassplace.com is 20 minutes from here and they stock the Neo Pak head and the 1x12, 2x10 and 2x12 cabs. GB doesn't make a 1x15, unfortunately.

Archived