Time for another car thread....

Svi

• Members

Does anyone here own a Murano? I like them. Everytime I see one on the road I think how sharp they look.

Does anyone here own a Nissan???

Any problems? Pluses/minuses???

Comments appreciated.

• Moderators

Don't own a Murano, but to this day my wife is remorseful that we sold her Maxima for an Odyssey. Nothing wrong with the Odyssey Minivan, but the Nissan was the schiznit! Great build quality and a better value than the comparable Toyota and Honda offerings. We were happy enough that her first look was at a quest, but the was a year or 2 before the current redesign, which it desparately needed.

My guess is the build quality is great and the price compared to the comparable Toyota is thousands less. We will own a Nissan again. Both of us miss our Maxima.

• Members

We have a Maxima and it's ok. It's quick and fast but the turning radius sucks big time. Also the A/C vents are pretty poorly designed -- they blast right in your face and there's not a whole lot that you can do about it short of putting the A/C mainly on your feet. On the plus side, every single time we turn the key, the thing starts up. We only have 50k on it but still, it's never had anything wrong with it. Cabin design could have been much, much better. We looked at the Titan and their smaller truck, (can't remember the name), also before we bought our Ridgeline and I've pretty much reached the conclusion that Nissan is really, really good at making cars that work really well but don't have the comfort that other cars, (Honda and Toyota), do. Nissan's rides have always seemed stiffer to me but I'll never doubt their quality. Incidently, CR just did a thing on all of the cars and Toyota came back with the best quality control, with Honda #2 and Honda's were best in the crash test. IIRC, Nissan was third in both categories. Maybe someone can back me up here.

• Members

REPORT CARD (from CR):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highs: Acceleration, transmission, fuel economy, handling, rear seat, access.

Lows: Stiff ride, noise, rear visibility, premium fuel.

I still can't get over the whole premium fuel thing. WHY?!!?

It's a Nissan, not a freakin' Mercedes.

Anyway, after thinking about the premium fuel-it may still be in the running. Premium is .20 more (on average) than regular. 20 gallons x .20=4 bucks per fill up. Which I guess will add up over time, but if I don't think about it, it won't kill me.

• Members

I own a Murano SL AWD. Bought it new 3 yrs ago.

It's Sunlit Copper and our first Nissan. It won't be our last.

We looked at everything that was in the market place and have had no regrets with our decision to purchase it.

It's an outstanding vehicle in every way!

My Mo

Murano1_A.jpg

Cheers,

TD

• Members

Why are you distancing yourself from the CR-V?

I'm not, and it's still our first choice. But this is the car I will be keeping for a very, very long time. I do plan on having another baby in a few years, so I need to know it's going to be able two kids, all of their crap, etc. Don't get me wrong, the CR-Vs kicks much butt. I just want to explore all options.

I might lean towards a Pilot as well. I really wish Honda made a crossover. But Acura does, and boy, is it sexy. Just a little too pricey for me.

concept_Acura_RDX_frontangle_cs_430.jpg

• Members

REPORT CARD (from CR):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highs: Acceleration, transmission, fuel economy, handling, rear seat, access.

Lows: Stiff ride, noise, rear visibility, premium fuel.

It is interesting that you mention stiff ride as a downside over there. In Australia the Murano is actually considered quite pudgy and plush in ride and handling, to the point where some owners complain of too much body roll and wallow.

I have always found it curious that most Americans prefer a plush ride at the expense of sharp handling. What you guys regard as sharp handling us Aussies usually consider sloppy. It may be part of the reason many of your SUVs rolled over so easily (crappy Firestone tyres notwithstanding...)

That said, the Holden Monaro and Commodore and Monaro (Pontiac GTO and Pontiac G8 soon to be released) would no doubt be tweaked a fair bit to soften the ride. Compared to the Ford Falcon competition over here the Holdens have always been a stiffer ride. My preference is for a sharp ride, compliant but responsive, I get motion sick in Falcons of old, too much wallowing.

The Murano is a nice piece of kit. Typical efficient Nissan, basically a 350Z motor in an SUV, the potential is there.

• Members

It is interesting that you mention stiff ride as a downside over there. In Australia the Murano is actually considered quite pudgy and plush in ride and handling, to the point where some owners complain of too much body roll and wallow.

I have always found it curious that most Americans prefer a plush ride at the expense of sharp handling. What you guys regard as sharp handling us Aussies usually consider sloppy. It may be part of the reason many of your SUVs rolled over so easily (crappy Firestone tyres notwithstanding...)

That said, the Holden Monaro and Commodore and Monaro (Pontiac GTO and Pontiac G8 soon to be released) would no doubt be tweaked a fair bit to soften the ride. Compared to the Ford Falcon competition over here the Holdens have always been a stiffer ride. My preference is for a sharp ride, compliant but responsive, I get motion sick in Falcons of old, too much wallowing.

The Murano is a nice piece of kit. Typical efficient Nissan, basically a 350Z motor in an SUV, the potential is there.

Conclusion: Australian men prefer stiffness under them.:idea:

C7

• Members

Murano is a very inovative car, and Nissan has a long history.

Originally they were 'Datsun', and they were among the first jananese builders to try to breach the US market. The few GTs that remain are highly sought after collector's items.

They were also the first definers of the 'compact pickup truck' idea. Chevy met this market segment with the 'Luv' and it wa decades later that Ford finally gained dominance with te Ranger (a name borrowed from a trimlevel on earlier full-size trucks) and only after buying a controlling interest in Mazda. (That's right kids, your Ranger is really a B200 series Mazda).

The Murano's system of locomotioin is an incredible feat of engineering. In the past it was confined to Wheel Horse riding mowers but it has a definite validity. Slip pulleys and hydrostatic drive is top shelf technology! But it's difficult to make it work reliably in an automotive environment. (Face it, most car owners these days think that preventive maintenance is limited to putting more gas in...)

I look at the Murano as a great 'beta model', testing to see if the market will bear it. Nissan lost it's roots quite a while ago; they are no longer a maker of inexpensive cars for the masses, but they have not lost any of their legendary 'build quality' in the process. I guess you do still get what you pay for...

US carmakers should take heed: the Japanese can still win the Second World War. Mitsubishi, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota all make cars that rival, if not completely surpass the american cmpetetive models, and even with tariffs are very affordable. (Note that no Korean makers were mentioned...)

I'd say if you like the Murano, buy it! The company's warranty policy is good, the customer support is good, the dealer network is good... What have you got to lose compared to any other gamble (which buying a car always is)?

• Members

I just bought a XTerra SE this week. Can't say to the long term yet but it is a very impressive SUV for the price. Handles great, has very good power, and mechanically is sorted out extrememly well. Also has a tweaked 350Z motor. I looked at every SUV in the market, and strongly disagree with the poster who said that domestic badge cars can't compete. They may not be on equal ground with pricing, this XTerra being a prime example, but there are other vehicles every bit as good available from the good 'ole USA. I bought this one because it's a great truck, and cost new what a lot of used SUV's go for.

• Members

Back from numerous dealerships.

Funny thing is, I didn't even drive the Murano. I sat in it, and was not impressed the slightest bit. It had the worst blind spot I've ever seen.

Started out this morning nice and early. Test drove the 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.

I do not have any cons for this car. I fell in love right away. Even without all the special packages, it comes nicely loaded. Easy on gas for a V6, and nice towing capacity. Lots of safety features. Great ride overall. Very, very impressed. Perfect for baby +1.

Next, we went to drive the RDX. The car was only a few thousand out of our budget. It was drop dead gorgeous. And FAST. Turbo charged four cylinder. Beautiful car, and when you sit inside it, it hugs you. But again, a little out of our price range. They had a demo in our price range, but I really wanted the navigation and Sirius with all the bells and whistles. I found a few with 5-6K miles for about 30,000 but we decided against it. I have no business driving this car whatsoever. It's just not me. But I wanted it.

Next we were going to drive the Murano, but sat in it and couldn't believe the blind spot. Not many features for the $ either. It was a total waste of time going there.

I wanted to show hubby the CR-V since he hadn't seen it. He loved it as well. I disagree with whoever said it's the RDX in a Civic body. It's not. Maybe it sits on the same chassis, but that's where the similarities end. The CRV is great quality. And it's a Honda (I've never owned anything else). The only problem is they didn't have the color (black on black) nor many with Navigation, which is a must.

We then drove a used Passat for the hell of it. Very nice. Great pickup, and it really glides. It only had 10,000 miles on it and it was rattling though. I wanted to look at the '07 wagon, but I decided I didn't need to add another car to the mix.

We got home and narrowed it down between the CR V and the Outlander. I feel bad for "cheating" on Honda, but the Outlander really had it all. Everything we wanted. Although the resale value isn't as high as the Honda, I still think overall it's the best deal. Of course, they don't have my color either, but I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if they can get one. It's the perfect mommy mobile- and totally stylish too. I feel like a truck could hit me head on and I'd survive.

We'll make our move in two weeks. I'm trying to sell my Civic outright, but if I have to trade it in, I will. Yay for car shopping.

Archived