ATTN Bob Vila types...

mlwarriner

• Members

The easiest way is to cut the circuit from which it is powered.
:thu:

edit: cut = flip the circuit breaker to the off position

which is all well and good except that there's no label inside the box for the doorbell. and i can't very well do the *flip* *test* *flip* method with it, as it isn't currently working :(

• Members

which is all well and good except that there's no label inside the box for the doorbell. and i can't very well do the *flip* *test* *flip* method with it, as it isn't currently working
:(

Sounds to me like you're not gonna use the SAFE flip method...you're gonna have to use the REDNECK version. Flip *zap* Flip *zap* Flip *zap* Flip *expects zap but none occurs* GOT IT!

• Members

Okay... interesting...

The circuit is very likely to be the same one that powers the exterior light at the door by your doorbell, assuming there is one. Can you do the flip/test/flip method to find that?

probably. hell, even if the doorbell button was lighted, that'd be great. but there's no light in it.

seriously. i'm ascairt of electricity. i've been zapped about once, and that was plenty...

• Members

Sounds to me like you're not gonna use the SAFE flip method...you're gonna have to use the REDNECK version. Flip *zap* Flip *zap* Flip *zap* Flip *expects zap but none occurs* GOT IT!

tell you what. you come over to my place and hold the bare wires. i'll go downstairs and flip breakers until you stop convulsing on my front porch.

deal?

:D:D

• Moderators

It might not be working because of the button itself or because of the interior-located chime. I understand the need to be cautious and although I am handy, I have not ever worked on a doorbell so I will stop giving advice before I get you killed!

• Members

Is there any chance it is a wireless doorbell? A lot of them are nowadays. If it is, you may just need to replace the battery in the button.

If that's not the case, I'm relatively sure that the current running to the button from the unit in your house in low voltage, not 110v. Of course, I'm neither an electrician, nor do I play one on TV.

• Members

Is there any chance it is a wireless doorbell? A lot of them are nowadays. If it is, you may just need to replace the battery in the button.

If that's not the case, I'm
relatively
sure that the current running to the button from the unit in your house in low voltage, not 110v. Of course, I'm neither an electrician, nor do I play one on TV.

it's original to the house, 20 years ago.

• Members

It is just 24 volt. take it apart and tape or wire nut the wire ends until you replace it. It will spark a little if you touch the two wires togther is all and the bell will ring.

I do this kinda {censored} for a living.

• Members

It is just 24 volt. take it apart and tape or wire nut the wire ends until you replace it. It will spark a little if you touch the two wires togther is all and the bell will ring.

+1. If they wired that little switch for 110v it would shower your guests with sparks every time they rang the doorbell.:D

...:idea:

C7

• Members

+1. If they wired that little switch for 110v it would shower your guests with sparks every time they rang the doorbell.
:D

:idea:

C7

That's an interesting thought...

I concur though that being a low voltage thing all you have to do is take the switch out, unhook the wires, throw it away and wire a new one up. Nothing to be afraid of at all.

If you really are still scared though, you can find the transformer and unhook one of the two small wires from it. (they are probably red and white, and about the size of wires in your guitar. (16ga) this will cut the power to the switch.

• Members

+1

It's powered by a 24v transformer hidden somewhere in a closet or the attic. It's not going to shock you.

• Members

+1

It's powered by a 24v transformer hidden somewhere in a closet or the attic. It's not going to shock you.

+2. Remove the switch and the wires. Touch the wires together and verify that the doorbell rings. If it does, get a new switch. If it doesn't you'll need to locate the xformer at test it for 110VAC in/24VAC out. If you've got 24VAC at the xformer, there's a break in the wires.

Archived