teach me to slap and pop

davis1

• Members

If you are just starting out, I recommend getting a book called "Slap-It" by Tony Oppenheim.

http://www.slapit.com/

After it was recommended to me by Fran Da Man, I use it for teaching now. It is far and away the best book, I have ever seen, for fundemental slapping techniques.

Listen to a lot of Marcus Miller and Vail Johnson (just know that Vail does a lot of Drop D tuning before you start learning his stuff)

I am still working on my website but here is a little clip you can practice:

http://www.gamenetusa.com/song1_bass.mp3

• Members

If you are just starting out, I recommend getting a book called "Slap-It" by Tony Oppenheim.

After it was recommended to me by Fran Da Man, I use it for teaching now. It is far and away the best book, I have ever seen, for fundemental slapping techniques.

Big +1 - Got this book a few months ago. It takes you from the solid basics to some really hot stuff. I learned from tape courses by Beaver Felton and Louis Johnson many moons ago, but I wish I had got this book as well.

• Members

At one time, there was a lot of support on here for Alexis Sklarevski 's DVD:

http://www.videoprogressions.com/a1_catalog.php

Sorry, I haven't learned myself yet, so it's not like I can really recommend something...
:rolleyes::D
But Tony's and this one always come up in these threads.

those look like some good videos I just bookmarked that site.thanks for the heads up

• Members

first you extend your arm, then draw your hand it back toward you across your body to form a right angle at the elbow making sure that your arm between the shoulder and elbow is parrallel to the floor, then in one quick motion you extend your arm straight striking something or someone with the back of your hand you can also in one quick motion bring your hand back to the right angle while striking the same object or person. this is known as a "bitch" or "pimp" slap:thu:

• Members

first you extend your arm, then draw your hand it back toward you across your body to form a right angle at the elbow making sure that your arm between the shoulder and elbow is parrallel to the floor, then in one quick motion you extend your arm straight striking something or someone with the back of your hand you can also in one quick motion bring your hand back to the right angle while striking the same object or person. this is known as a "bitch" or "pimp" slap:thu:

silly ass boy:D

• Members

You forgot the baby powder. It's important to powder your hand so it's nice and soft; nobody wants a trick with a black eye or a fat swollen cheek.:idea:

C7

• Members

The main thing to remember about slapping is that anyone that tells you to move your forearm or your arm in any way is a toolbox. It'll take forever to learn control over your volume and timing that way.

Good slapping is all in the wrist. Your thumb should remain motionless and be used like a wet towel for slapping the strings.

Best suggestion is to take lessons, honestly. Once you get rolling with slap it's very easy to let crappy technique creep in and you can give yourself some serious RSI by holding your wrist at the wrong angle/etc. Plus you'll sound like crap.

Having someone watching you and correcting you is priceless for learning to slap well.

Also, metronome practice is even more integral to slap than fingerstyle/picking.

Archived