How high you set the Gain control on your amp?

Jim-Bass

• Members

I used to think that the Gain should be just set low (2,3) and the master volume pumped up ...don't know why I had that idea, but now I'm keeping the Gain at 7 or 8 and adjusting the master volume for whatever I want. It doesn't distort like I thought it would ( you know on guitar amps, you can set the gain high/volume low to get a bit of that) ...just loookin' for some feedback on this

• Members

I used to think that the Gain should be just set low (2,3) and the master volume pumped up ...don't know why I had that idea, but now I'm keeping the Gain at 7 or 8 and adjusting the master volume for whatever I want. It doesn't distort like I thought it would ( you know on guitar amps, you can set the gain high/volume low to get a bit of that) ...just loookin' for some feedback on this

the Gain is just what it means you gain more volume the closer you get it to 10:thu:

• Members

it depends on the bass.

when using an amp with a built in VU meter, i turn the output volume all the way down, then play with input volume until a relatively hard pluck of the E string send it just into the red.

Then set the output volume accordingly

• Members

yeah im a recent convert too, i used to keep my gain low and crank the volume

if you put the gain up though i seem to get more character in my tone (more mid-range, and you can actually hear the tone of the individual bass, rather than just a flat bass drone)

• Members

yeah im a recent convert too, i used to keep my gain low and crank the volume

if you put the gain up though i seem to get more character in my tone (more mid-range, and you can actually hear the tone of the individual bass, rather than just a flat bass drone)

I agree with that...never thought about as such, but yeah, Gain brings out the bass itself not the amplifier power

• Members

On the Traynor YBA200, the gain is the primary tone knob. About 2 or 3 is good for clear fidelity, about 6 or 7 is good for a lot of crunch, and by 9 or 10 it's pretty distorted. It would be nice if it were somehow normallized so it didn't have as much effect on the volume as a tone knob. But then it wouldn't be 'gain'. :p

• Members

On the Traynor YBA200, the gain is the primary tone knob. About 2 or 3 is good for clear fidelity, about 6 or 7 is good for a lot of crunch, and by 9 or 10 it's pretty distorted. It would be nice if it were somehow normallized so it didn't have as much effect on the volume as a tone knob. But then it wouldn't be 'gain'.
:p

That is exactly how I use it. The Tube Preamp in my amp is pretty hot and pushing the gain past 5 gives me a (nice) tubey Overdrive sound.

I normally set my master volume at around 8 or 9 and roll on input Gain until I get the sound and volume I need... typically around 4-5 for the stages I play.

• Members

on my B100R I keep the gain to 5 and I adjust the volume accordingly.

I find with the Ric I get a sound that fits into any thing I play.

if I want more bass I turn that up. if I want more treble I turn that up.

then I have the boost swithes which I pretty much always keep depressed

• Members

On the Traynor YBA200, the gain is the primary tone knob. About 2 or 3 is good for clear fidelity, about 6 or 7 is good for a lot of crunch, and by 9 or 10 it's pretty distorted. It would be nice if it were somehow normallized so it didn't have as much effect on the volume as a tone knob. But then it wouldn't be 'gain'.
:p

That's how I do it with my Trace V4. Only I prefer higher gain for most things I play.

• Members

On my SS amps, I have "Pre" and "Post" - I typically set my Pre @ 4, because that seems to give me the tonal quality from my preamp that I'm looking for - and set my Post for the desired volume - which is typically 1 and 1/2 - 2, for even the loud rock bands I play in...

- georgestrings

• Members

Depends on the type of amp too - my shiny new Eden sounds like crap when it clips, but the hybrid tubeSS and all-tube amps can sound nice when you hit 'em a little hard.

• Members

on my B100R I keep the gain to 5 and I adjust the volume accordingly.

I find with the Ric I get a sound that fits into any thing I play.

if I want more bass I turn that up. if I want more treble I turn that up.

then I have the boost swithes which I pretty much always keep depressed

Word. Recently discovered same with B100R, which I then run thru my Fender 2x10 with my Ric=Heaven:snax:

Archived