NASCAR

Thunderbroom

• CMS Author

Hey, I'm half Irish, I don't need no stinkin' reason to drink. LOL. NASCAR, like METAL is one of those things that you either do or don't get. If you don't get it then it's your loss, if you do then it's a party every weekend during the season.
:thu:

You can "get it" and still not "like it". It's like Dream Theater; I definitely understand and appreciate the individual musician's skills, but their music bores me to tears.

Sorry if that started another argument.;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can "get it" and still not "like it". It's like Dream Theater; I definitely understand and appreciate the individual musician's skills, but their music bores me to tears.

Sorry if that started another argument.
;)

And just like NASCAR I really like Dream Theater's music as a group. If we all were alike and liked the same things it'd be a pretty boring world now, wouldn't it? I like what I like and there's a lot of other people that like what I like. If you don't like what I like that's cool with me, IMHO you're just missing out on something that I find fun. I'm sure there's things that some of you guys think are fun that'd bore me to tears. It doesn't make what you like bad, or what I like good, it just makes it different and that's cool. I think the world is a big enough place for everyone's opinion. :thu:

• Members

If I lived in Alabama or North Carolina, there's a very good chance I'd be one of those guys sittin' in the back of a pickup truck chugging Budweiser, hootin' and hollerin' at women, listnin' to David Allan Coe, and gettin' into fights. I'm a western redneck, though. I drive my truck off-road, drink Fat Tire, hoot and hollar at trout, listen to heavy metal, and try to avoid fights because I'm too stoned to want to hurt anyone.:D

C7

• CMS Author

And just like NASCAR I really like Dream Theater's music as a group. If we all were alike and liked the same things it'd be a pretty boring world now, wouldn't it? I like what I like and there's a lot of other people that like what I like. If you don't like what I like that's cool with me, IMHO you're just missing out on something that I find fun. I'm sure there's things that some of you guys think are fun that'd bore me to tears. It doesn't make what you like bad, or what I like good, it just makes it different and that's cool. I think the world is a big enough place for everyone's opinion.
:thu:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy NASCAR. I'm pointing out that being a fan or not has nothing to do with "getting it" (you wrote that it's something you either do or don't get)....which kinda implies that non-fans are ignorant or something or too stupid to 'get' the nuances.

• Members

which kinda implies that non-fans are ignorant or something or too stupid to 'get' the nuances.

Not at all, and if that's what you thought I said I'm sorry. What I'm trying to say is that they're just not interested enough to take the time to figure it out. I "understand" basketball but I "don't get it", what's the point of running up and down a court throwin' a ball into a hoop? You want to do something like that then play Hockey. Hockey I GET, you kick the hell out of the guy with the puck so you can take it and put in into the opposing teams goal. I guess if I took the time to get to know some basketball players and really got into a team then I'd be a fan but I don't so I'm not. I think if they'd allow checking in basketball and put someone there to gaurd the hoop then I'd get it more then I do now but the way it is just doesn't interest me at all. ;)

• Members

LOL, I LOVE NHRA too, Force is THE MAN but then a lot of people don't get why someone would want to drive as fast as they can in a straight line for only 1/4 mile. People either get racing or they don't, people are either into it or their not. Doesn't make either group right or wrong, just different.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy NASCAR. I'm pointing out that being a fan or not has nothing to do with "getting it" (you wrote that it's something you either do or don't get)....which kinda implies that non-fans are ignorant or something or too stupid to 'get' the nuances.

You know, he clarified, but I think this thread is a lot more entertaining if the claim is that people who don't like NASCAR are too stupid to get the "nuance" and "subtlety" of it :D

• Members

LOL, I LOVE NHRA too, Force is THE MAN but then a lot of people don't get why someone would want to drive as fast as they can in a straight line for only 1/4 mile. People either get racing or they don't, people are either into it or their not. Doesn't make either group right or wrong, just different.

Drag racing comes from the good old "my car is faster than yours" side by side let's settle it. :mad:

It's all money shot.

Tragically, Force lost a team driver last week in a testing accident. RIP Eric Medlin. :(

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/19197.htm

• Members

You know, he clarified, but I think this thread is a lot more entertaining if the claim is that people who don't like NASCAR are too stupid to get the "nuance" and "subtlety" of it
:D

Still trying to start something aren't ya' KK,LOL. Intelligence has nothing what so ever to do with it. Some people are "CAR" people and some aren't, it's that simple. I like watching pretty much anything run with a motor in it and even some stuff without(skateboarding, snowboarding,BMX,ect) I just like watching people go fast with skill, that's all. When I was younger I worked on my "hot rod" all the time, went crusin' down Central Ave. in Phoenix and got into quite a few races, racing is something I did for fun on the weekends, it's cool to see someone actually get paid to do it.

My wife just doesn't get music, she loves to listen to it but doen't get "into" it like I do. It doesn't make her any less smart, just different. She listens to the whole piece of music, I listen to the different parts when I listen to music. We have a different approch to it.

• Members

Drag racing comes from the good old "my car is faster than yours" side by side let's settle it.
:mad:

It's all money shot.

Tragically, Force lost a team driver last week in a testing accident. RIP Eric Medlin.
:(

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/19197.htm

And NASCAR comes from Moonshine runners saying "my car is faster and can take corners better then yours." kind of deal. NASCAR has a long history in the South and so has Moonshine. Some people just don't get Moonshine either, I mean, why would anyone want to drink that stuff when you've got good bourbon to drink. LOL, Just give making it a try and you'll figure THAT out too. It's not as easy as it looks and neither is going 180+MPH for 500 miles in a pack of 43 cars even if they are all turning left most of the time. :D

• Members

Still trying to start something aren't ya' KK,LOL. Intelligence has nothing what so ever to do with it. Some people are "CAR" people and some aren't, it's that simple.

No, I'm really not...I noted that you clarified it :p

I just thought Craig's phrasing was funny...:D

As for yet another "you either get it or you don't" statement from you, that's not what it is...You need to accept that.

I'm from {censored}ing Detroit, I was raised on cars. My very first car right after I got my license had a 330 bhp Chevy Small block and traction bars. Primer gray with the headliner stapled into the ceiling. It was an engine with seats.

I've spent time racing. My friends race. I know people who have cars who run 8s. I could make 20 phone calls right now, and talk to 10 relatively close friends who have at least one vehicle with 300+ bhp, and 10 others with a cherry 60s musclecar...I fly home in August just to go to the Woodward dream cruise. The smell of gasoline and tire smoke? Perfume baby :D

I love cars. I love racing (I love being the driver even more). I don't like watching NASCAR.

You know, I {censored}ing love baseball, best sport on earth in my mind. Lots of people don't like it. Sure, I try to convey what I like about the game, so that they understand why I like it, but it's usually not a matter of them "not getting it". Most of them "get it", they just don't like it...

That's me and NASCAR...I "get it"...I just don't like it...

It has nothing to do with you...I'm not trying to "start something". I'm the one saying "I don't like it", and you're the one telling me "you just don't get it". I know the basis for my opinions a fair amount better than you do.

And Craig is right. Every time you suggest that some people "just don't get it", you are suggesting some sort of failure on their part, whether you mean to say that or not...

• Members

We got free tickets last year. I took my son.

The people were real nice. They cram you into those seats, so you get real friendly with your neighbors.

I was not aware that you could bring in your own beer. I was amazed to see people carrying coolers in and then pulling cans of beer from those coolers. And. Due to the previously stated friendly nature of the crowd I was able to share some beers with our neighbors. :thu:

The race itself did nothing for me.

• Members

I'm from {censored}ing Detroit,

Well, gee, join the club, I spend the first 11 years of my life in Taylor.LOL. So maybe the "Get it" deal isn't the right way to "Put it". I guess Golf would be a good example, I like to play round of Golf and I can even watch it on TV in short amounts but I'm not a huge fan of watching it on TV. If you don't like something then don't watch it, it's that simple but to question why those of us that are into NASCAR like it so much is just as wrong as me saying that those that aren't into it "don't get it". As you said, you either like something or you don't. Case closed.

• Members

If you don't like something then don't watch it, it's that simple but to question why those of us that are into NASCAR like it so much is just as wrong as me saying that those that aren't into it "don't get it". As you said, you either like something or you don't. Case closed.

Go back and read my posts...

Now show me where I questioned why people were into it...

Hint: I didn't :D

The only thing I questioned was your "you get it or you don't" assertions (you just kept rephrasing it, so I kept questioning it ;))...

• Members

I have the Kansas City NASCAR track about 2 miles from my house and I love drag racing and track racing for that matter, but I will never forgive NASCAR for what they did to the people who lived in the footprint of the track and the fact that these deadbeats aren't going to pay taxes for the first 30 years, if then.

The drivers and fans may be cool, but the France family are just typical corporate welfare recipients sucking the blood out of everyone they meet.

• Members

Jeebus - I've never seen the France family hold anyone at gunpoint and take their money......it's pretty typcial for all sports where big $$ are involved. I don't agree with it and try not to contribute where I have a choice.

• Members

Jeebus - I've never seen the France family hold anyone at gunpoint and take their money......it's pretty typcial for all sports where big $$ are involved. I don't agree with it and try not to contribute where I have a choice.

They did pretty much that in KCK. Eminent domain was used to take the land away from the people who lived there for a pittance of its value as a commercial project and along the way they were just treated like dirt.

If they had treated those people fairly I would care a lot less, and you're right, all the sports folks now think they should have the taxpayers' tit to suck on.

• Members

Whatever man...I've always got energy to post when someone claims I've said something I haven't...
:wave:
right back at ya

I'd have been happy to let you have your "case closed" last words...As long as those words were actually true
;)

I simply feel that we should end this before there's any "bad blood" that develops between us. I'm sure that we've both been misunderstood in this thread and it seems like we keep going round and round about the same thing, hence the "beat a dead horse" smiley. I like this forum and the people on it way to much to just keep on about something to the point of pissing someone off. I hope we can both agree on that. Peace. Out. :thu::D

• Members

I simply feel that we should end this before there's any "bad blood" that develops between us. I like this forum and the people on it way to much to just keep on about something to the point of pissing someone off.

I don't hold bad blood against folks, especially not someone like you who isn't doing anything intentional to be mean or insulting (i.e., if I don't hold bad blood against some of the folks here who intentionally stir the {censored} and routinely insult people, then you've got nothing to worry about;)); and you haven't pissed me off in the slightest.

Now, if what I've said to you pisses you off (or put another way, if you've chosen to get pissed off at what I've said), that's another matter, but there's no negative feelings on my end.

And if you are upset about what I've said, I suggest you do what I suggested earlier, and re-read through my posts. I haven't at all said what you said I did, so if you're getting upset about me "questioning why people were into it", you're getting upset about something I never said (that sentence used the word "said" too much :D)

Archived