NASCAR

Thunderbroom

• Members

Let's see.... Either it's playing the bass live, and having hawt women flash their racks at you, or being stuck in a concrete tub with thousands of obese, mullet-headed rednecks drinking Budweiser all day.

Hey, I'm not that much over weight and I DON'T have a mullet.:wave:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:D

It wasn't really serious at all
:)

:wave:

I know, LOL. And besides, believe it or not, there's a lot of hot chicks at NASCAR events. If I had the choice between playing a gig or going to see a race I'd take the gig too and I'm a die-hard NASCAR fan. It's just that doing something is more fun then watching something, that's all. :D

• Members

I've been to one race, just last year. I was skeptical (I'd never even watched a full race on the TV). Arrived jsut for the Cup race (Sunday) around 8.30AM with my bro-in-law who is into NASCAR and wanted someone to go to the race with him. Heck, I like noise and beer, so count me in I say. Parking meadow already full at 8.30AM. Crack a cold one in the tailgate of the truck, pull out some chairs, start talking to our neighbors. Good time.

Around 11.30AM head into the track - probably a two mile walk, no problem, everyone was real friendly. Check the website for the race you're going to, but apparently most tracks allow you to bring in a 14" x 14" x 14" cooler of whatever you want (no glass is the only rule). That is a full size Igloo Playmate cooler (which holds 30 cans). We broght lunch in, some beer, a bunch of water and Gatorade (one other thing: bring lots of sunscreen!) We walk around the "entertainment" area: all the teams and their sponsors set up trailers hawking their stuff, it, take a photo with a hot chick in the Ford for a donation to a charity type thing. Total blast. Once inside the track, each team has a full semi-trailer selling t-shirts and the like - cool. Drivers stand outside their trailers sometimes and sign stuff (you're not getting anything signed unless you're a woman in a bikini, but hey, you can watch them get stuff signed!)

You can rent radios & Nextel has a neat TV screen thing to get close ups. DEFINITELY RENT A RADIO OR NEXTEL TV SCREEN! You can listen to each pit crew feed or the TV broadcast. The biggest thing with watching on TV at home is that you don't have all the information you need to understand why someone is passing someone else. The radio allows you to know why a driver is heading to the pits. Each of these will come with noise-blocking headsets, but bring earplugs too. It is freaking loud.

I was skeptical about the race: I thought it would be boring, a waste of my $100 for the ticket, probably $30 for all the food and beer I brought with me, and another $30 to rent a radio and that I would end up regretting it. Instead, I had so much fun we're doing both days of races this year (Busch & Craftsman on Saturday, Nextel on Sunday).

One other thing: you'd think it would be a family-unfriendly envrionment, but that was not the case. Never heard anyone swear other than on the radios, no fights, friendly people always happy that I was there enjoying the race. There is a reason NASCAR is the fastest growing sport: they understand that you have a choice when it comes to your entertainment dollars, and they make sure you have a great time and want to come back. Every time I go to any other sporting event I feel ripped off (being able to bring in your own cooler helps) and regret going. Not with NASCAR.

Have fun.

• Members

I used to fire those, and they were LOUD! Of course, in CIC, it sounded like someone farted really loudly. It was a running joke for someone to say, "Sorry, that was me" during a shoot.

And yes, you want double hearing protection, that means plugs and muffs - especially if you bring the kids, cause they won't want to wear them. It's like sitting at an AC/DC concert, but there are no breaks between songs.

• CMS Author

+1

Road tracks I can get into, the oval, bores me to tears...

I thought the same, until I attended several years of the Meadowlands Grand Prix. While fun to watch on TV, in person it's incredibly difficult to follow the race, as you can only see a tiny portion of the track from nearly any vantage point (I was there comp'd as a sponsor and had the run of the place). So all you'd get to see is cars running through the gears coming out of a turn, or braking and downshifting going into a turn. Cool and fun for about 20 minutes, then you really just wanna go to the hospitality tent and see if there's any cleavage about.

• Members

+1. I love going to ALMS, Champ Car, and especially SCCA races. I live 5 miles from
here
and my father in law works there, so I get free weekend passes for all the events.
;)

I want to go there baddd! That's got to be about 4 hours from here. It would be a good weekend trip.

• Members

The biggest thing with watching on TV at home is that you don't have all the information you need to understand why someone is passing someone else. The radio allows you to know why a driver is heading to the pits.

This is one reason I got HotPass on Direct TV. I can block the anouncers and just listen to the in car raido, or listen to the anouncers AND raido but it's cooler to block the anouncers, they get on my nerves sometimes because they just talk to dang much.

Taking your own cooler is another nice thing, you don't have to spend millions on food and beer that THEY sell, you can Bring Your own. They won't let us take coolers to the Hockey games and they charge $7.50 for a 24 oz beer, you can bet we do most of our drinkin' before the game at the bar across the street, LOL. Anyway, glad ya' had a good time, it is a lot of fun if you get into it.

• Members

I want to go there baddd! That's got to be about 4 hours from here. It would be a good weekend trip.

Let me know if you ever make it up here for a race! Race weekend nights in Elkhart Lake at Victorian Village's Tiki bar or the outdoor beer garden at Siebken's are soooo much fun. Many drunken nights have been spent there. :p

• Members

I thought the same, until I attended several years of the Meadowlands Grand Prix. While fun to watch on TV, in person it's incredibly difficult to follow the race, as you can only see a tiny portion of the track from nearly any vantage point (I was there comp'd as a sponsor and had the run of the place). So all you'd get to see is cars running through the gears coming out of a turn, or braking and downshifting going into a turn. Cool and fun for about 20 minutes, then you really just wanna go to the hospitality tent and see if there's any cleavage about.

Oh yeah, in person, road tracks have got to be hard to follow...However, to me, circle tracks are boring on TV and in person, so it's not like it's better :D

We had pretty good seats at the Detroit Grand Prix. Plus, there was a cherry picker there that you could go up and sit in for 10 minutes. That was cool, you could see the whole track from there.

• Members

I went to a Busch series race at Pikes Peak a few years ago. It was 104*f and there was a notable shortage of good looking trailer park women. I drank too much in the vendor-relations tent and vomited Budweiser out of my nose.

The track was so short that by the 5th lap, you couldn't tell who was in the lead, so I left.

C7

• Members

I went to a Busch series race at Pikes Peak a few years ago. It was 104*f and there was a notable shortage of good looking trailer park women. I drank too much in the vendor-relations tent and vomited Budweiser out of my nose.

The track was so short that by the 5th lap, you couldn't tell who was in the lead, so I left.

C7

Don't touch me with that....and wipe that puke off your nose...

060821_170636_0011_5D.jpg

• Members

I used to live one mile from Daytona for a few years, and saw my share of Nascar. I've also worked for SnapOn Tools, and had been to several races with them too. I've come to the conclusion that Nascar is 90% about the crowd atmosphere, and about 10% about an actual race. People go to have fun, and there just happens to be a race on. I am way too much of a technology geek to enjoy that kind of driving. For me, a race is about out accelerating, out braking, high G-load cornering, and flat out race driving. I want to se cars run that were built for this with no compromises, not some showroom Chevy looking thing that fans can dream they actually own. Ever see a stock car run a road course? It's pathetic! The literally look like they're running in slow motion around the turns compared to road racing cars. Even more incredible is motorcycle road racing. That is so fluid and smooth, just beautiful to watch. I love racing for the techie side of it, not for the fan side. I'd go to see the best racing has to offer, not to go and hang out watching a lessor form of the sport. But like most things that's just one opinion, and a lot of people really enjoy Nascar. The more forms of motorsports there are the better, but I sure wish people would support roadracing more than they do.:cool:

• Members

I think NASCAR is something you have to follow, you just can't watch one or two races during the year. It's more of a "life style" then just a sport. You have to have a pasion for it so it means something to you. I LOVE the hell out of NASCAR, I have my favorite drivers and drivers that I can't stand. I like watching my favs beat the hell out of the drivers I don't like. There's a lot more too it then just racing. :D

• Members

I think NASCAR is something you have to follow, you just can't watch one or two races during the year. It's more of a "life style" then just a sport. You have to have a pasion for it so it means something to you.

If you can't stand watching cars go around in a circle, exactly how are you supposed to develop that passion? :D

• Members

If you can't stand watching cars go around in a circle, exactly how are you supposed to develop that passion?
:D

By watching programs other then the races (Speed TV has a few of em') following info on your favorite driver's and watching all the races. If you approch it from just a bunch of guys running around in circles then hell, I'd be bored but I like to watch every aspect of it. Qualifying, practice, driver interviews, ect. I like Dale Jr., Tony Stewart, and Kurt and Kyle Busch. I like to watch em' race the other drivers, I love it when one of em' wins and it's cool to watch drivers battle each other. If you don't get it you probably never will, it's like people that don't understand why I like Metal, it's just something I like, I can't explain it.

• Members

By watching programs other then the races (Speed TV has a few of em') following info on your favorite driver's and watching all the races. If you approch it from just a bunch of guys running around in circles then hell, I'd be bored but I like to watch every aspect of it. Qualifying, practice, driver interviews, ect. I like Dale Jr., Tony Stewart, and Kurt and Kyle Busch. I like to watch em' race the other drivers, I love it when one of em' wins and it's cool to watch drivers battle each other. If you don't get it you probably never will, it's like people that don't understand why I like Metal, it's just something I like, I can't explain it.

But qualifying and practice are...wait for it...cars going around in a circle :D

The personalities are nice, but if you just watch for the personalities, it's basically WWE without a predetermined outcome (and far less varied action) ;)

Though note, "NASCAR seems an excuse to tailgate and drinK" is essentially the same statement as "NASCAR is a lifestyle", one is just more cynical than the other :D

• Members

Hey, I'm half Irish, I don't need no stinkin' reason to drink. LOL. NASCAR, like METAL is one of those things that you either do or don't get. If you don't get it then it's your loss, if you do then it's a party every weekend during the season. :thu:

• Members

Hey, I'm half Irish, I don't need no stinkin' reason to drink. LOL. NASCAR, like METAL is one of those things that you either do or don't get. If you don't get it then it's your loss, if you do then it's a party every weekend during the season.
:thu:

And that's different than what I said how? :D

Archived