NASCAR

Thunderbroom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just checking on the Chicagoland Speedway website. You can check the view from any seat in the place. I thought it was odd that the lower you are and the closer to the track you are, the cheaper the seats until I realized you couldn't see as well down there.

The tickets are steep ($195 - $260) but as I understand it cover 5 races over two weekends.

• Members

There's a lot more to NASCAR then just driving around in circles. You've got all kind of behind the secens stragity that's got to play out. Do you stay out and get track position or come in for tires this caution? Do you add/take away some wedge or try to fix your lose/tight problem with air pressure. Two tires or four?

I've got "Hot Pass" on Direct TV this year and it's opened up a whole new deal by hearing the in car raido chat and stuff. Totally awesome. I'd say go, have a cook out, drink a few brews, watch the race, smell that sweet racing gas and rubber and enjoy it. I'm going to the Busch Race in Nashville(Really, Lebanon but they call it the Nashville race) on April 7th. Wish my sister would have gotten over her cancer and not passed away a couple weeks ago, she really loved NASCAR, even if she was a Gordon fan.

• Members

I'm from the deep south and you'd think that NASCAR would be in my blood - but it isn't. I can remember going to some early races at BIR in Birmingham and I remember how loud the cars were. I guess I was about 4 at the time.

Two years ago, I received some free tickets from NBC for the race here in Phoenix. OK - it's free & I've never been before so what do I have to lose? I also had a couple of extra tickets- those went to some local firefighters.

Rode the KTM over and didn't pay for parking. In fact, I parked within about 20-yards of the track. The sights and sounds were incredible - it's such a rush to feel the power when the pack comes by. I actually enjoyed it - but it's not something I'll ever do again - unless I get free tickets.

Bottom line - keep an open mind, don't knock it until you've tried it - much like everything else in life.

• Members

Like ANY Sport, if you're not "into" it you'll get bored. I think Basketball is a total waste of time, Football I can stand, I totally LOVE Hockey and I Love NASCAR because I get both and understand both so I love both. For god sake, take ear plugs, trust me on this, you'll need em'.

One thing I really love about NASCAR, instead of just having two teams to pull for you've got 43 so you can take your pick. I think you'll like it if you like fast cars. :D

• Members

I never quite "got" Nascar. I know there's a lot more to it than driving around in circles for hours on end, but those ticket prices are a little too rich for my blood. Hell, $175 gets you a four-day pass at the Telluride Festival and it includes one heck of a lineup. :thu:

• Members

There's a lot more to NASCAR then just driving around in circles. You've got all kind of behind the secens stragity that's got to play out. Do you stay out and get track position or come in for tires this caution? Do you add/take away some wedge or try to fix your lose/tight problem with air pressure. Two tires or four?

Yeah, the "behind the scenes" stuff might be interesting, but the "Scenes" themselves are a bunch of cars going in a circle...And since that's the lion's share of the sport, it's not that much fun for many folks to watch...

• Members

I'm not a fan of NASCAR, but I got into it a little bit so that I would have something to talk about with my father-in-law.

I've been to races at Richmond and Charlotte. The first time I went to each, it was really cool. After that, it's just loud. I can completely understand how people get into it and it is very interesting, but it's just not my thing.

I will offer this advice:

Double Hearing Protection.

It may seem silly, but that's the loudest thing that I have ever experienced and I did time on an aircraft carrier. I think the 20mm Vulcan Phalanx is louder, but it only fires in short bursts. A NASCAR race is three or four hours of non-stop ridiculous noise. Get plugs and muffs for everyone and you'll have a good time.

• Members

I like outdoor motocross and supercross, I watched part of todays race to see if the cot would make it more interesting. (not really) I will probably keep tabs on Ricky Carmicheal and I would probably go to a race if I was in the area but it is pretty dull on tv.

• Members

I prefer road courses with cars that actually handle, but Nascar is ok :)

Keep an eye out for Marcos Ambrose in the Busch series. Rookie of the year in the Sportsman Trucks and bound to end up Rookie of the year this year in Busch. He's Australian and he's on a warpath. Dual V8 Supercar Champion, if you want to watch some awesome V8 racing, tap into the Aussie series, best in the world IMHO.

Last weekend was {censored} luck for him, being taken out and all. Better luck next time!

• Members

I'm much more into openwheel cars, like F1 and Indy, and much more into road courses as opposed to oval regardless of what cars are racing.

+1. I love going to ALMS, Champ Car, and especially SCCA races. I live 5 miles from here and my father in law works there, so I get free weekend passes for all the events. ;)

Archived