i need help dating a jazz bass neck

rescue squad

• Members

hi, i'm buying a jazz bass neck off somebody who doesn't know too much about it. he gave me a serial number # S 83439, and from what i gathered from the fender page, it looks like its either a 77 or a 78, but it should have 6 numbers instead of 5? he said its a 4 bolt maple neck with white block inlays. but i thought all later 70's necks were 3 bolt. any help would be appreciated.

also, is 200$ without tuners a good deal for this? he has the original tuners, but would probably want like around 250$ with them.

• Members

The serial number indicates a 1977 or 78 date. The neck joint sounds a bit odd, though. It might be someone re-drilled the heel to fit it to a later, post '83 body.

Does it have a bullet truss rod, or is the adjusment at the neck-pocket end?

• Members

Dating a bass neck?

Well, if its a first date, bring flowers and take the neck to a good restaurant. Not the best place in town, but somewhere nice. Then make sure you look it into the eyes when it talks-- try not to stare at the frets or truss rod-- they don't like that. If things work out, make sure you bring a condom.

• Members

Dating a bass neck?

Well, if its a first date, bring flowers and take the neck to a good restaurant. Not the best place in town, but somewhere nice. Then make sure you look it into the eyes when it talks-- try not to stare at the frets or truss rod-- they don't like that. If things work out, make sure you bring a condom.

I was thinking of something along similar lines but I didn't want to post it and have people think I was strange(like they don't know already,LOL) so thanks for posting so I didn't have too. :thu::D

• Members

Dating a bass neck?

hey thanks for the help. i appreciate it.

Archived