differences between P and J bodies...

Captain Fathead

• Members

I know they're different... My question is, could you put together a Jazz pickup configuration on a P body? Would it sound weird, or like a jazz? How much does the body effect the sound? I've never seen a P with J pickups, but I have seen a J with a P pickup (mark hoppus signature model). Just curious... I think it'd be a cool warmoth project one day.

• Members

I actually think Squier has done it in the past. I don't think you'd notice much difference in tone, really. The body masses are similar (the jazz may be a touch bigger). The woods are the same. Could be a cool bass.

I think the difference in tone of a jazz and a p with most everything being equal (except, of course, the pups, the body shape, and the thickness of the neck, 99+% of the difference is in the pups and where the pups are positioned.

• Members

I actually think Squier has done it in the past. I don't think you'd notice much difference in tone, really. The body masses are similar (the jazz may be a touch bigger). The woods are the same. Could be a cool bass.

I think the difference in tone of a jazz and a p with most everything being equal (except, of course, the pups, the body shape, and the thickness of the neck, 99+% of the difference is in the pups and where the pups are positioned.

That's what I thought... The size of the jazz body is the main issue. I'm 5'6 and relatively skinny, so j's look stupid on me (I've played a few). I love the shape and feel of the P, but I want j pups.

• Members

It's a 5 string...but you get the idea...

spb62413ts1.jpg

I know it's not earth-shattering to do that, but looking at that pic of that configuration, part of my brain kinda pops and then goes dim for a minute like a fuse has blown and needs to be changed. :freak:

• Members

I know it's not earth-shattering to do that, but looking at that pic of that configuration, part of my brain kinda pops and then goes dim for a minute like a fuse has blown and needs to be changed.
:freak:

I know...it does look a bit odd to me, too...

• Members

It's a 5 string...but you get the idea...

spb62413ts1.jpg

Interesting. It actually looks kind of cool, but the P styling with J pickups definitely looks just a little wierd, like you're not sure what it's supposed to be.

You can also check out the Yamaha BB series, especially the Nathan East signature. That body style is a bit more modern (no pickguard, beveled cutaways) but the outline, though a little thinner, is a P. I have the BB404 which is the passive J-bass configuration. It's a great little bass IMO, and a killer value (got it for $160).

Archived