G&L Question (Purchase Related)

Johnny Morales

• Members

So I have a MIM Std. Jazz that I never play (I don't play much to begin with) - but I wanted to upgrade it because I'm not really into it.

I was deciding between a MIJ (Ishibashi) Jazz Reissue for $710, a Tribute Premium L2000 for $550 or so, and a G&L L2000 US Made - for $865. All 3 basses are new - the Jazz I would be ordering from Japan so it'd be tough to return - the other 2 basses I have 72 hour return period.

I decided to go with the G&L L2000 because I figured for an extra $300 I get a hard shell case and a US Bass that would hold its value a little better than the other two I was considering.

Did I do the right thing?

• Members

Actually there's nobody around that sells G&L. I got mine on a fluke. It was a special order that never had any money put down on it, and sat in the back store-room of a tiny music store in Battle Ground, Washington for a few years. Meanwhile, the store lost it's G&L sponsorship and had to get rid of all stock ASAP. Hence, they shot out mine for 750 dollars, 825 after taxes.

• Members

Actually there's nobody around that sells G&L. I got mine on a fluke. It was a special order that never had any money put down on it, and sat in the back store-room of a tiny music store in Battle Ground, Washington for a few years. Meanwhile, the store lost it's G&L sponsorship and had to get rid of all stock ASAP. Hence, they shot out mine for 750 dollars, 825 after taxes.

Wow, you got lucky. Way to go. :thu:

• Members

Actually bassnw had one listed as used/demo but when I called they said it was a double order and never even taken out of the box. It was initially listed at $999 but then they dropped it to $899 and brought it down a little more (but I had to pay shipping).

I still love the look of the Stingray 5 and the Fender Jazz but I couldn't see spending another $600 for a SR as I don't play that often and need to buy some things around the house and I've never been 100% satisfied with any non-custom shop Fender's that I have tried and having not played the MIJ Jazz, I'm not sure if I'd like it and it'd be tough to return.

• Members

The American made G&Ls are the most underrated instruments out there. I personally like them a lot better than the Music Man. The neck on my 2500 is built like a baseball bat, but it forces you to play it with good technique. I actually set mine on passive and it gets a great sound.

• Members

The American made G&Ls are the most underrated instruments out there. I personally like them a lot better than the Music Man. The neck on my 2500 is built like a baseball bat, but it forces you to play it with good technique. I actually set mine on passive and it gets a great sound.

I rarely use the active electronics either. I've got an L2k, and it still has a baseball bat for a neck. I love it!

• Members

If you're looking for highly under valued instrument for the money the American made G&L is it. Quality, sound and great playability. Since I'm new here I don't know how well they like posting pictures all over the place, but I got my 2500 for 300 bucks and a Peavey T-40 that I bought for $150. It's not only playable, it's gorgeous. Flame top with a birdseye maple neck.

Archived