Waaaay OT: Need help with image file/rendering

L-1329

• Members

Also playing off the theory that all that is knowable can be found here.:D

I have a project that needs an image laser etched onto a piece of metal, and have not been able to find any suitable image files that could be used. Any chance any of you would be able to lend a hand? I think what I would need to do is just have one drawn out in some kind of good graphics app, rather than try to use any of the picture files I've dug up. It's a very simple image, the insignia of our first deployed fighter unit. I would definitly appreciate any help, or other idea's you might have to find something usable. Here is what it looks like:

• Members

Also playing off the theory that all that is knowable can be found here.
:D

I have a project that needs an image laser etched onto a piece of metal, and have not been able to find any suitable image files that could be used. Any chance any of you would be able to lend a hand? I think what I would need to do is just have one drawn out in some kind of good graphics app, rather than try to use any of the picture files I've dug up. It's a very simple image, the insignia of our first deployed fighter unit. I would definitly appreciate any help, or other idea's you might have to find something usable. Here is what it looks like:

they'll probably need a .dxf or .dwg file. Something that can be plugged into a CNC software program. There's no way to "save as" from a picture file like that, you'll beed to to have someone basically trace it in or find someone with a digitizer who could do it.

I'm not sure if the program I use (Solidworks) can trace from that or not. let me check it out.

• Members

they'll probably need a .dxf or .dwg file. Something that can be plugged into a CNC software program. There's no way to "save as" from a picture file like that, you'll beed to to have someone basically trace it in or find someone with a digitizer who could do it.

I'm not sure if the program I use (Solidworks) can trace from that or not. let me check it out.

Appreciate it! I was at least hoping to be able to find an image, that would be usable for a cnc once it's converted, even if it is in a common format. At least I'd be able to email it out, and could then figure out how to get it into the correct format. This one is probably too tiny though...

• Members

Appreciate it! I was at least hoping to be able to find an image, that would be usable for a cnc once it's converted, even if it is in a common format. At least I'd be able to email it out, and could then figure out how to get it into the correct format. This one is probably too tiny though...

When do you need it in a vectorized version, L? I have a little time on Saturday that I could trace it for you. Let me know if that works.

• Members

When do you need it in a vectorized version, L? I have a little time on Saturday that I could trace it for you. Let me know if that works.

Man, I'd sure appreciate that! There's really not any time frame or deadline, this is kind of a long term project. If you're able to do that, would that little image work, or would you need something bigger? Thanks again!:cool:

• Members

Man, I'd sure appreciate that! There's really not any time frame or deadline, this is kind of a long term project. If you're able to do that, would that little image work, or would you need something bigger? Thanks again!
:cool:

Preferably, something bigger would be better. But, I've used worse files, so it wouldn't be that bad.

T-Broom, you need a vector program (Illustrator, Freehand, etc..) in order to properly "vectorize" a raster image (Tiff, Jpeg, etc..) so it can be used for the type of thing that L-1329 needs.

• Members

Preferably, something bigger would be better. But, I've used worse files, so it wouldn't be that bad.

T-Broom, you need a vector program (Illustrator, Freehand, etc..) in order to properly "vectorize" a raster image (Tiff, Jpeg, etc..) so it can be used for the type of thing that L-1329 needs.

I've got Illustrator 10 but am a noob at it. Guess I'll have to poke around. Is this something that's easy to do to a raster file?

• Members

Thanks, let me see if I can find a bigger image. That one was the clearest I've found, but I might be able to dig up another one that's bigger. Also, does it matter if the background is not white? I'm not sure how colors affect the trace process, but really just the black lines would work for this etched on a surface...:)

• Members

I've got Illustrator 10 but am a noob at it. Guess I'll have to poke around. Is this something that's easy to do to a raster file?

Define easy. Depending on the image, it can take me 15 minutes, or it can take me an entire day. The concept is easy, getting a really quality end result that will be easy for a CNC machine to go around takes a little longer.

Cool on the bigger picture too. I'm thinking that won't take that long at all; it's fairly straight forward.

Archived