So my wife tells me she wants to learn to play bass....

mmb

• Members

Here's the story.

I like to pretend I'm a guitar player, but really I'm a cowboy chord campfire warrior. I've had a late 70's Harmony shortscale bass for upwards of 15 years that has not been out of the gigbag in almost that long. It's pretty clean, but the pots and pickups are crap on it.

My wife decided that, after watching a local cover band while out one night, that she wanted to learn to play bass. She has been messing around with the old Harmony and catching on, but I'd rather get her a decent standard scale bass to learn on. She's already picked out a SX PJ red/black that she likes and now I'm looking around for an amp for her. Currently she is using an early 80's Univox/Westbury 60W Guitar amp.

What would be some recommendations for an inexpensive bass amp that would work for her to learn with and maybe play along with a guitar and small drum kit?

I'm not looking for cheap stuff, but rather a good value.

Thanks

• Members

Some people would agree & disagree with me on this, but because your wife is just learning and considering how unpredictable some women can be (no offense ladies) but if this turns out to be just a phase, you probably don't want to go too stupid on getting the most expensive small amp money can buy.

I'd recommend getting her one of the Eden Nemesis combo's. They're not quite the quality of the "David" range but are still excellent quality for the price. There's combo's with 210 speakers or 410 if you want something a bit bigger. Some of the David range combo's are sensational but obviously more expensive.

Check some of them out on this link:

http://www.eden-electronics.com/Nemesis/index.asp

Good luck with it and hope your wife much enjoys playing!

• Members

Womens on my bass? Why, she should cook you a meal just fer thinkin' such silly nonsense. Heck, musics a man thing, estrogen clouds the musical thinkin process, I hears!

...in all seriousness, she should be treated the same as any beginner: Nice, but small combo, and a decent bass that doesn't exceed $300. Ibanez seem to be a good choice for a fairer sex because they tend to have smaller hands and Ibies have those nice, thin necks.

• Members

Some people would agree & disagree with me on this, but because your wife is just learning and considering how unpredictable some women can be (no offense ladies) but if this turns out to be just a phase, you probably don't want to go too stupid on getting the most expensive small amp money can buy.

Yeah. This happened with me. I stuck with it for a little while, and still pick it up once in a while, but I'm glad hubby never went out and bought me anything insane.

• Members

Anyone played a Behringer Thunderbird 1x8? Not a well received brand, and maybe not as loud as you want, but it's dirt cheap and it sounds damn good compared to the practice amps I've played. There's as much volume as you could hope from a 1x8. Well, at least I'm curious about it.

• Members

Yeah. This happened with me. I stuck with it for a little while, and still pick it up once in a while, but I'm glad hubby never went out and bought me anything insane.

Your fella sound like a sensible bloke! :thu:

The upside of this is if you (or the lady that is the subject here) decide to really stick with it and get serious, you can always hit your respective fellas up for a better rig!! :idea:

(I take no responsibility for the answer you might get though, but I'm sure you both have you ways to get what you want...........every guy has their buttons!)

Archived