Is there a shortage of bass players in the world?

Conformer

• Members

There is a shortage in my area.

I am a decent player. Not bad, not awesome. I play with three different bands, and could be in more if I had the time. It isn't because I am the go-to-bassist. I am far from it. There are just so few bassists near me. I know how lucky I am, believe me.

• Members

three bass players in my band.

one on guitar

one on drums

and then we all argue about who gets to play bass

Might not be the worlds best guitarist and drummer, but damn we all know what we are doing!

:thu:

So what do you play?

Or do you guys just rotate?

• Members

Can we add drummers to that list.

The world is full of decent musicians. Sadly, there are very few good players out there.

I've been real lucky. Most all the drummers I've been in bands with have been great players.

....great. Now I jinxed it.

• Members

I KNOW Columbus, Ohio has a shortage of bass players. First of all, my guitard player in my original band has 65 guitar students and another friend of mine (also teaches the 'tard) had 35. Millions of people wanting to play the guitard nowadays. Second of all, I have 7 gigs starting tomorrow night going thru April and 5 of them are fill ins for bands that either lost their bass player recently, or they don't have a permanant bassist as of yet.

Sure, can't complain about the $$, but kind of sad that a lot of people out there don't realize that bass players are the most important member of any band!!:D

Mr. Matt

• Members

Going the guitar-to-bass route isn't necessarily a bad thing. It worked for Paul McCartney. Granted, far more of the famous bassists you can name (Flea, Wooten, Larry Graham, Jaco, Jamerson, Les Claypool) were/are bassists, through and through; I believe Victor Wooten's said he's never done any "cross-training" on guitar.

I started on bass, then picked up guitar because I could play guitar more often. Not because bassists are in such great supply, but because the music I currently play in public (praise/worship mostly) doesn't require bass so much. I'd only be on bass maybe once every few months at my church, when we put together a praise band for a youth-led service, but every month or more I can pull out an acoustic guitar and play for gatherings, kids' stuff, etc. not to mention pulling out a guitar for simpler songs with the praise band. Bass is still what I do; I just like music, and won't give up a chance to make music if I can help it.

• Members

Denver has an apparent shortage of bass players, but drummers and especially singers are in much shorter supply.

Some guy posted on CL asking about the Denver music scene last week, and got flamed with "Stay out!", "the scene here sucks! too many players!", etc. He gets on and explains that he's a drummer, and all of a sudden it's like "oh, well, aight then.":D

C7

• Members

Denver has an apparent shortage of bass players, but drummers and especially singers are in much shorter supply.

Some guy posted on CL asking about the Denver music scene last week, and got flamed with "Stay out!", "the scene here sucks! too many players!", etc. He gets on and explains that he's a drummer, and all of a sudden it's like "oh, well, aight then.":D

C7

Interesting. I'll have to post on Denver's Craigslist just to see what kind of repsonses I get. :D

I had been to Austin a few times for SXSW. Austin is another city with about 8 billion SRV-wannabe guitarists (and some guitarists who aren't SRV-wannabes). Some of the guys there tried to convince me to move there from Boston due to a shortage of bass players and drummers (of which I am both). They said to me, "There is such a shortage for bass players and drummers. If you move here, you will never be out of work as a musician. You won't need a day job." Tempting.... :idea:

• Members

I'm newly back into the scene here, but I have noticed bass players who cover several bands in my recent forays to the clubs. I myself have several standing offers to jam with my past cohorts who are playing regularly. I believe these sessions could easily turn into paying gigs too...

• Members

There's definetly a shortage of bassists in chicago. Guitarists always think that they can pick up a bass and sound all right...and for the most part they can...but drummers can always tell the difference between a guitarist posing as a bassist and a real bassist.

Besides, what guitarist can rip out 16th notes at 200bpm with his fingers on a bass like I can?

Archived