One dead string

SteveyDevey

• Members

As I noticed only hours before 82Daion came to bring me my new amp (woohoo!), the A string on my fretless is {censored}ing dead. It feels/sounds dead in a way that makes me think it's just hitting the fretboard, not in need of a new string.

I tried adjusting the truss rod on a bit to arch the neck more, but it didn't seem to do much. Should I just keep trying, or is there another solution to try?

It seems odd that it would have happened to only one string. It also seems to have happened relatively quickly, but it's hard to say since I hadn't played it much prior to bringing it to my new place. (and haven't played it much since, considering the dead string)

• Members

It sucks when it happens with bass strings (at $20 or $30+ a set) but it happens sometimes. I hate when I drop $15 for a set of Elixirs for one of the Ovations and there's a dead string in the pack. Gratefully, it only happened once. Martin lost me as a customer when I opened up the second dead set of their "Elixir killers."

• Members

More relief on the truss rod doesn't give you more string height on higher frets, just on the first 6 or 7 where, when the neck is flat, the string/neck angle is shallowest. Adding relief makes the shallowest angle somewhere in the 7-9 fretspaces, so if that is still too low it means your saddles are too low. Try raising the saddles by a half-turn on the screws at a time and see if that makes a difference.

Ive never been unlucky enough to come across a dead string right out of the pack, except for one pack of Ernie Balls that I kept as a spare pack for over a year. Now, there are dead spots; my Strat has one on the 7th fret D string (other strings seem fine). If it sounds dead the whole way up, though, I'd see if they'll sell you one string (works for geetarists; they're breaking high-Es all the time and most stores buy at least a couple brands of 9s and 10s by the dozen).

• Members

I'll certainly try raising the saddle, I'm not sure why I haven't yet.

Oh wait, I couldn't find the right wrench. At least I've got an excuse! I'll just have to find it. Der.

Thankfully they're not new strings though. They've been on and off that bass for years now. I keep switching between this set of flats and a set of rounds. Switching again is something else I've thought about trying. Maybe even *gasp* new strings! :D

• Members

Well, I've just purchased my first set of new strings in years. I decided to go the cheap route and try webstrings.com, since I've heard good things about them, and I don't need the best strings in the world (though, I would like to try elixirs some time).

Wish me luck! :)

Archived