Hey Fireball!! (portrait of tracy content)

Anesthesia

• Members

I recall that you said you had learned this piece recently, so I had a couple of questions....

First of all: How did you go about learning this? I can't seem to find a decent tab for it.

Second: Can you give me any tips on getting harmonics to sound? When I play with a pick, they are all of a fairly even volume, but finger style, harmonics barely sound at all, with the exception of 5, 7, 12, 19 & 24.

Thanks for any help you can give me man :wave:

Any others feel free to chime in too!

• Members

I recall that you said you had learned this piece recently, so I had a couple of questions....

First of all: How did you go about learning this? I can't seem to find a decent tab for it.

Second: Can you give me any tips on getting harmonics to sound? When I play with a pick, they are all of a fairly even volume, but finger style, harmonics barely sound at all, with the exception of 5, 7, 12, 19 & 24.

Thanks for any help you can give me man
:wave:

Any others feel free to chime in too!

I know we are round about the same level of experience so here goes:

First of all I had MAJOR motivation to learn this: I.e. A bitch of a music teacher to prove wrong! :D It took a lot of hard graft to learn.

As for tabs, just pure tabs for this song would not be good. It helps if you can read the rythm from music as well as listen to the song. I used the powertabs programme. Basically music + tab that you can play back on your computer in real time. Usually the tabs are top notch. I got mine from www.powertabs.net. Do a google search to find the "Power tab editor" software to use it. Highly reccomended! Makes learning songs that much easier! :thu:

As for the harmonics. All I can say is that my fretless is brilliant for these compared to the my fretted basses - although the fretless is a step above both. I can play portrait of tracy on other basses, but they never sound as good. It really is a matter of feel too. But as far it can help - boost your high mids and experient a bit with your bass to get the best "harmonic friendly" sound. I had the neck J-pup solo with treble full.

Harmonics are natrually uneven volume. There are some where I just could not pull off at all (1st fret, or certain chordsl)! So I just changed what I played to something that sounded good but didn't deviate from the song much. This was only a few times, the worst part is the second fret harmonics. So instead of playing a natural harmonic 2nd fret on ADG and then the same with *artifical* harmonics - I just played natural DG, then natural again on the A. Just remeber - the notes appear on many places on the neck!

Artifical harmonics are incredibly hard! I asked Doug Wimbish himself about them and all he said was practice your feel and find what works for you. He said the way Jaco apprpoches them (dont ask me about that) doesnt work for him - and he is an amazing player remeber! I blagged it with natural harmonics most of the time!

The more chordal section takes a while to get used to - just figure out the best way to use your fretting fingers and practice like {censored}! It will hurt - at one point it made my whole right hand and left pinky go ice cold!

Good luck man, build it up slow and learn it section by section. :wave:

• Members

I learned it recently too, by ear (which made me feel like a badass) but there's a couple of chords where I cant figure out how to get the notes to come out of my bass, especially the last chord he plays before he returns to the main lick. Also, turn your mids up and play entirely on the bridge pickup and the harmonics sound better.

• Members

When I play PoT, I've found that favoring or even soloing the bridge pickup helps bring harmonics out more. Boosting midrange helps, but if you can't get them to sound unplugged it won't make much difference, usually.

When Jaco plays the song, one of the main troubles is the harmonic where he holds a B on the 2nd fret, A string, then grabs the harmonic at the 6th fret with his pinky. I can't do this, so instead I do a pinch harmonic which places the node right around the neck pickup on my fretless. The final chord is the same technique; low E string open, then the top three strings held at the 9th fret with the harmonic sounding at the 13th. I can only get two to sound, so I just hold the top two strings and mute the A string.

I learned the song by getting a full transcription of it. Helped a lot to get the parts where it changes meter.

• Members

When Jaco plays the song, one of the main troubles is the harmonic where he holds a B on the 2nd fret, A string, then grabs the harmonic at the 6th fret with his pinky. I can't do this, so instead I do a pinch harmonic which places the node right around the neck pickup on my fretless. The final chord is the same technique; low E string open, then the top three strings held at the 9th fret with the harmonic sounding at the 13th. I can only get two to sound, so I just hold the top two strings and mute the A string.

This is one that was really giving me trouble. I may try the pinch harmonic instead, as I'm playing with a pick anyway.

Thanks for those tips fireball. :thu: I will have to look into power tab. i currently use 'tabit' (a bare bones midi ab program) and the PoT tab on that is pretty dodgy.

As for motivation, I am just motivated to be the best that I can. The same thing that pulled me through when I learned 'Anesthesia, Pulling teeth' From start to finish :D

thanks guys :wave:

• Members

I can't do this, so instead I do a pinch harmonic which places the node right around the neck pickup on my fretless.

At times like these I'm glad I'm doing physics and a really dull investigation into the laws of vibrating strings where I didn't once play my bass in an experiment! :bor::D

Yeah for the B on the A to the harmonic on the 6th fret, I just played the 6th fret harmonic. Sounded good enough to me!

Glad to be of help A-sneezy!

• Members

This is one that was really giving me trouble. I may try the pinch harmonic instead, as I'm playing with a pick anyway.

Thanks for those tips fireball.
:thu:
I will have to look into power tab. i currently use 'tabit' (a bare bones midi ab program) and the PoT tab on that is pretty dodgy.

As for motivation, I am just motivated to be the best that I can. The same thing that pulled me through when I learned 'Anesthesia, Pulling teeth' From start to finish
:D

thanks guys
:wave:

If you can figure it out with your fingers, some of the song may be easier, especially with the 3-string chords.

• Members

At times like these I'm glad I'm doing physics and a really dull investigation into the laws of vibrating strings where I didn't once play my bass in an experiment!
:bor::D

Yeah for the B on the A to the harmonic on the 6th fret, I just played the 6th fret harmonic. Sounded good enough to me!

Glad to be of help A-sneezy!

I spent a day in class foricibly stretching out my hand to play that note, but now I can get it every time. :)

Archived