Help me price this bass

RockBass

• Members

This is the bass I learned to play on when I was 16. Picked it up from a friend's dad for $600 since he was tired of looking at it:

Gibson EB-3 short scale. Cherry red finish. With hardshell case. Still has the bridge cover and in good condition. I believe it was made sometime in the 70's.

Anyone have an idea about how much it's worth? I'm contemplating selling it because I never play short scale basses anymore.....

• Members

I'll give you $35 sight unseen.

(just kidding! Well, not really, 'cause I've GOT the $35. I'm just kidding that you might TAKE it!)

Even in poor condition you should get well over a grand for it, even though it's more 'collectable' then anything else.

I'd check with George Gruhn and Elderly Instruments. They know the market for 'oddies'.

• Members

BTW, I still have and play my first ax.

It's both worthless and priceless.

Yeah, that's my dillema. Keep it for nostalgia (and investment) or sell it now and invest the money into my recording studio that I'm constructing?

• Members

At one point in the movie, Ron Burgundy (played by Will Ferrell), is reading the news report prompt and someone accidentally types: Stay classy San Diego, and I'm Ron Burgundy? The "?" was the mistake; he says it in a totally hilarious/stupid manner.

• Members

After seeing the pic, I'd say keep it. I looks like it has a replacemnet Badass bridge, which will bring the 'vintage' value down a bit (and add immeasurably to playability and tone).

Since you're building a studio, keep it as the house bass. Nothing quite goes 'thud' like a Gibson bass with a mudbucker pup. :thu:

• Members

BTW, I still have and play my first ax.

It's both worthless and priceless.

My first axe was stolen in a burglary. Yamaha RBX260 P-bass that I paid $165 for; I'd be surprised if they got $50 for it. I liked it though; easy-to-play, lightweight, sat on my lap well, and of course it was cheap.

The oldest surviving axe I have is a Michael Kelly acoustic. I don't play it much; doesn't even stand up to one guitar.

The oldest bass that gets play time is the one I bought when getting a new rig to replace the stolen one. History repeated itself; I got a Yamaha BB404 for $160 out the door. I still play it often; it has a wonderful fingerstyle sound and a distinct character when slapped that works sometimes (though my Jazz is the best slapper).

• Members

After seeing the pic, I'd say keep it. I looks like it has a replacemnet Badass bridge, which will bring the 'vintage' value down a bit (and add immeasurably to playability and tone).

Since you're building a studio, keep it as the house bass. Nothing quite goes 'thud' like a Gibson bass with a mudbucker pup.
:thu:

I think it's the original bridge. I still have the bridge cover as well.

Archived