ran with just a DI last night

brake

• Members

wow! i plugged my sr5 into my me50b, and then a DI into the PA. i could hear myself perfectly through the monitors and with a little help from the mains.

god bless not carrying a big {censored}ing amp!

• Members

wow! i plugged my sr5 into my me50b, and then a DI into the PA. i could hear myself perfectly through the monitors and with a little help from the mains.

god bless not carrying a big {censored}ing amp!

yeah, I wish someone had explained this to me a long time ago. :cry: IME, amps are just expensive monitors. :eek:

• Members

I am starting to wonder if bass amps stacks are a thing of the past. My band was fortunate enough to be the opening act for 2 country acts recently. Neither had a bass rig in the traditional sense on stage. Sawyer Brown's bassist was using a BBE tube pre-amp with IEMs. Western Undergrounds bass player had a bass pod pro. Meanwhile I was using an Eden bass rig [410 and 210 with a WT1205]. If I was playing concerts all the time I would definately down-size or maybe do something like they were doing.

• Members

If that's the case, then
this
is the site for you.
:p

I go without amp whenever possible. Showing up to for a gig with only your bass and a few other things slung over your shoulder in a gigbag get to be pretty addicting once you do it a few times. :thu:

• Moderators

I di it when I can. When I don't, I have a lightweight head and 2x10 as a monitor. When I have to bring full power and multiple cabs I do and enjoy it, but inevitably those are the worst gigs at the worst venues with the worst crowds. I know I'm in for a real good night when it's me, my bass and a di.

• Members

I've done it a few times, and although the convenience is nice, I still prefer to hear AND feel my playing while up on stage... Besides, I always have someone to help with my equipment - so it's not all that big a deal to move a head and one or two cabs...

I ALWAYS take a DI box for gigs, just in case of an amp failure - and know that I *can* get the job done that way, if necessary...

- georgestrings

• Members

I go without amp whenever possible. Showing up to for a gig with only your bass and a few other things slung over your shoulder in a gigbag get to be pretty addicting once you do it a few times.
:thu:

If I was a typical bassplayer, then I'd find it appealing. But I'm more of a failed guitarist playing an octave lower, and I generally think DIs by themselves sound like {censored}. I need a guitar amp somewhere in my rig as well for feedback.

Archived