anybody here got an a.m.p or thunderfunk?

Guttermouth

• Moderators

I have a Thunderfunk. Downsides? Sure. It isn't smaller and more powerful and able to make my breakfast. It never distorts. The Tfunk is a fantastic amp, but it is what it is, nothing more. It is not a tube amp, whether that is a pro or con is up to you. Is the price a concern? I mean it would be better if it were free.

Honestly, if you have questions about it, let me know. Even if you gave me your intended application I'd have something to comment on. It is hard to formualte a list of downsides in the abstract.

• Members

I have a Thunderfunk. Downsides? Sure. It isn't smaller and more powerful and able to make my breakfast. It never distorts. The Tfunk is a fantastic amp, but it is what it is, nothing more. It is not a tube amp, whether that is a pro or con is up to you. Is the price a concern? I mean it would be better if it were free.

Honestly, if you have questions about it, let me know. Even if you gave me your intended application I'd have something to comment on. It is hard to formualte a list of downsides in the abstract.

sorry man - i guess i could have been more vague eh? :)

in actuality i'm just wondering about any little nitpicky things that owners don't usually talk about. i've got a general idea of the range of tones that these amps make and they seem to be in the tonal ballpark i'm looking for.

are they picky about which pickups you feed them?

how are the direct outs?

do the power ratings seem under or overpowered?

i know these are probably strange questions but being as where i live i'll be buying without playing through one first so any insight you might have would be really helpful.

• Moderators

sorry man - i guess i could have been more vague eh?
:)
in actuality i'm just wondering about any little nitpicky things that owners don't usually talk about. i've got a general idea of the range of tones that these amps make and they seem to be in the tonal ballpark i'm looking for.

are they picky about which pickups you feed them?

how are the direct outs?

do the power ratings seem under or overpowered?

i know these are probably strange questions but being as where i live i'll be buying without playing through one first so any insight you might have would be really helpful.

Not strange at all, all legitimate questions. You won't find any surprises with a Thunderfunk. It is not one bit picky about hot inputs (you CANNOT make it distort under any normal circumstances), but the input impedence is not high enough for pickups that need an extrnal buffer. You can't use it directly for piezos. It is not one bit picky about cabinets. It pairs well with just about anything you can find. It is an amp optimized for 4-ohm use. You will get less power into 8-ohms and not much more power into 2-ohms, but you shouldn't be overly concerned about testing the limits of the amp, it is solidly built. The direct outs are nice. Is a Jenson transformer equiped out better? I'd say so, but they the Thunderfunk outs are just a small step back from that top tier. Dave has commented that he made this sacrafice since not everyone would want to pay an extra $100+ for better outs and those that would pay would be using nice direct boxes anyway. The power ratings are right on. Compared to comparably rated heads, you won't find a louder more powerful 500 watts. That means it is loud enough for just about any purpose as long as you hook it up to the right cabinet(s).

It is light, strong, powerful, flexible, and simply well thoguht out. Backed by great customer service. Not much ot complain about.

In that price range, I'd also give a comparable Genz Benz head a look. They make some really nice heads as well.

• Members

Not strange at all, all legitimate questions. You won't find any surprises with a Thunderfunk. It is not one bit picky about hot inputs (you CANNOT make it distort under any normal circumstances), but the input impedence is not high enough for pickups that need an extrnal buffer. You can't use it directly for piezos. It is not one bit picky about cabinets. It pairs well with just about anything you can find. It is an amp optimized for 4-ohm use. You will get less power into 8-ohms and not much more power into 2-ohms, but you shouldn't be overly concerned about testing the limits of the amp, it is solidly built. The direct outs are nice. Is a Jenson transformer equiped out better? I'd say so, but they the Thunderfunk outs are just a small step back from that top tier. Dave has commented that he made this sacrafice since not everyone would want to pay an extra $100+ for better outs and those that would pay would be using nice direct boxes anyway. The power ratings are right on. Compared to comparably rated heads, you won't find a louder more powerful 500 watts. That means it is loud enough for just about any purpose as long as you hook it up to the right cabinet(s).

It is light, strong, powerful, flexible, and simply well thoguht out. Backed by great customer service. Not much ot complain about.

In that price range, I'd also give a comparable Genz Benz head a look. They make some really nice heads as well.

sweet!

thanks man - i guess i'm on the hunt then :)

• Moderators

I unfortunately didn't get a chance to play with the Markbass, my attention was directed elsewhere, but I did hear it through the Bergie. It was perfect for that application. That's one of the reason I asked what you'd be using it for. Depending on the application, there might be other amps that are a better fit, even if there is nothing bad to say about the Thunderfunk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i'm really looking at the amp bh-420 but they seem to be pretty few and far between.any of you guys got one or a thunderfunk (basicly the same amp) ?

any downsides to them?

I have one that I was just about to list on ebay. It's a BH420 in good condition. Works fine but needs cleaning. Noisy pots from sitting in closet since the 80's.

• Members

I've had my AMP-BH420 for a few years now. I don't know much about it, other than it kicks ass & does everything I'm likely to need it to and more. Great amp that's built like a tank. A cool feature that I accidentally discovered (but doubt I'll ever really need) is that it can be switched from 110V to 220V by flipping a switch under a plate on the back.

My only issue is that I don't know if it can be mounted in a rack, but since I rarely transport it, I haven't really looked into it.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat - especially if I could find one at the same price I paid for my first. :thu:

• Members

I've had my AMP-BH420 for a few years now. I don't know much about it, other than it kicks ass & does everything I'm likely to need it to and more. Great amp that's built like a tank. A cool feature that I accidentally discovered (but doubt I'll ever really need) is that it can be switched from 110V to 220V by flipping a switch under a plate on the back.

My only issue is that I don't know if it can be mounted in a rack, but since I rarely transport it, I haven't really looked into it.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat - especially if I could find one at the same price I paid for my first.
:thu:

thanks for the input dood. everyone i've talked to that has these amps seem to say the exact same thing about em.

Archived