What kind of effect would a brass nut have on a P Bass?

In Absentia

• Members

I don't think less than an ounce of brass would make that big of a difference on the neck heaviness, but the effect on the tone could be decent. If you use alot of open strings you'd probably like it alot.

If the neck gets noticably less balanced, just tape a couple of nickels in the control cavity to offset the new nut.:idea:

:D

C7

• Moderators

Maybe the question should have been: What kind of nut should I use to replace the plastic one on my Pbass (bone, plastic, graphite, brass, etc.)?

You will find plenty of nuts working at guitar stores, who are more than capable of replacing the plastic one on your P-Bass.:D

Just kidding. Bone or graphite would be my preference. I wouldn't do the brass. That's generally something reserved for a 12ver, IME.

• Members

You will find plenty of nuts working at guitar stores, who are more than capable of replacing the plastic one on your P-Bass.

Just kidding. Bone or graphite would be my preference. I wouldn't do the brass. That's generally something reserved for a 12ver, IME.

Ala Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"?

• Moderators
If the neck gets noticably less balanced, just tape a couple of nickels in the control cavity to offset the new nut.
:idea:
C7

I've actually had several basses drilled and heavy pieces of metal put in them to get rid of neck dive, when a roll of pennies wasn't enough.:)

• Moderators
Ala Pearl Jam's "Jeremy"?

Don't know much Perl Jam, how about like Petersson from Cheap Trick or Pinnick from King's X. All those 12ver's have brass nuts and most 8 strings, too, AFAIK. Some of the Korean and the very cheap Chinese imports don't.

• Members

What did it change tonally?

Can't really say, since the basses that have them all came to me with them on, but compared to similar basses with other types of nuts, the open string sound is brighter and more "piano tone" and has better sustain. It has no effect on fretted notes.

• Members

Don't know much Perl Jam, how about like Petersson from Cheap Trick or Pinnick from King's X. All those 12ver's have brass nuts and most 8 strings, too, AFAIK. Some of the Korean and the very cheap Chinese imports don't.

My cheapo Brice 8er has a brass nut. :)

Archived