If guns kill people, then...

der oxenrig

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Being in Australia, where gun ownership is rare and strictly enforced, as in Britain, I have to say that the US has to re-address its gun laws. OK, those who want to hunt (of which I don't approve - why kill anything?) have to get a license, but in the city no way. How is it so easy to buy a gun over there? we have the odd shooting crime but nowhere near what happens in the US. I can't believe that people walk around with hand guns. Over here that would make you a criminal suspect. If you're not a cop - you don't carry a gun.

Self protection? No, that's an excuse. 'Cause if you don't give them guns, you don't need one in self defence.

• Members

on a serious note , If guns were banned within all city limits , and a mandatory 1 year jail term for someone caught with one . Do you think the crime rate would drop ? Goes back to fantasy land ...

Guns are banned in Chicago. I don't know what the penalty is; however, it has not stopped gang members from shooting themselves and innocent bystanders. Of course, since guns are illegal, they shouldn't have guns anyway.

• Members

Guns are banned in Chicago. I don't know what the penalty is; however, it has not stopped gang members from shooting themselves and innocent bystanders. Of course, since guns are illegal, they shouldn't have guns anyway.

Sounds like they are on the right track , just add a stiff penalty , the prison system will love it too. Out here they had a kind of , turn in your guns for stuff , food , toys etc. It was a hit , everyone brought in their vintage 1920's firearms :rolleyes: but it did get some questionable firearms off the street .I am all for hunting as some folks do it to put food on the table , but no guns in the cities . Yeah you really would need to be harsh with the penalty for having one as most likely would be the criminals breaking these laws .

• Members

Sounds like they are on the right track , just add a stiff penalty , the prison system will love it too. Out here they had a kind of , turn in your guns for stuff , food , toys etc. It was a hit , everyone brought in their vintage 1920's firearms
:rolleyes:
but it did get some questionable firearms off the street .I am all for hunting as some folks do it to put food on the table , but no guns in the cities . Yeah you really would need to be harsh with the penalty for having one as most likely would be the criminals breaking these laws .

I think one should have the ability to defend one's self and family whether in the cities or in the country. How is one to defend ones' self and family? With the government outlawing guns in cities, I hate to be cliche, only the scum will have and use them. The cliche is actually true in this case. All you need to do is look at DC or NYC as a case in point.

I note there were no sawed offs, tech 9, AK's in the guns turned in during the big government 'program'. Does that tell us anything?? Says a lot to me.

• Members

You shouldn't have to have permission from your government (who is your emplyee) to own a gun but society should be able to take it away if you if you can't act responsibly with it.

• Members

Sounds like they are on the right track , just add a stiff penalty , the prison system will love it too. Out here they had a kind of , turn in your guns for stuff , food , toys etc. It was a hit , everyone brought in their vintage 1920's firearms
:rolleyes:
but it did get some questionable firearms off the street .I am all for hunting as some folks do it to put food on the table , but no guns in the cities . Yeah you really would need to be harsh with the penalty for having one as most likely would be the criminals breaking these laws .

They did the same thing here a few months back. They kept hailing it as a great success and in fact the city even asked for more money for the program. Whenever they showed the lines of people waiting to trade in their guns on TV it was old men trading in rifles and old pistols that proabably didn't work. The whole thing is just so stupid

• Members

I think one should have the ability to defend one's self and family whether in the cities or in the country. How is one to defend ones' self and family? With the government outlawing guns in cities, I hate to be cliche, only the scum will have and use them. The cliche is actually true in this case. All you need to do is look at DC or NYC as a case in point.

I note there were no sawed offs, tech 9, AK's in the guns turned in during the big government 'program'. Does that tell us anything?? Says a lot to me.

Your point may be true for DC or NYC. In Sydney, I don't know anyone who keeps a gun in self defense. And this is a big city. A gun next to your bed means you might shoot anyone who startles you at night. Even if it's a burglar with no weapon. I don't like that.

• Members

Your point may be true for DC or NYC. In Sydney, I don't know anyone who keeps a gun in self defense. And this is a big city. A gun next to your bed means you might shoot anyone who startles you at night. Even if it's a burglar with no weapon. I don't like that.

Lot's of folks view it more as the governemnt has no right to stop you from owning a firearm if you have done nothing wrong. Kinda a balance of how free you are vs how much control you are willing to accept for percieved safety.

• Members

You shouldn't have to have permission from your government (who is your emplyee) to own a gun but society should be able to take it away if you if you can't act responsibly with it.

I don't follow you here. How can 'society' act to disarm people through a different mechanism to 'the government'? Are you suggesting a citizens arrest? :freak:

• Members

You can still misspell words with a pen. A subsitute for a pencil.

You can still get drunk and run people down in your horse and buggy. A substitute for a car.

And. Rosie can get fat using her fingers. A substitute for a spoon.

But. It'd be hard to kill multiple people with an automatic knife. A substitute for an automatic weapon.

I'm against any type of gun control. But. I think the argument of "guns don't kill people, people do", is flawed.

Archived