Another wireless network connection question. Hardware or software issue?

Rowka

• Members

At home I've got a notebook with a built-in wireless card (not unlike TB's, I'd assume). Every day, several times a day (sometimes several times an hour) I lose connection with the internet. I can either wait 2-3 minutes for it to fix itself or I can:

1 - Cycle the power on the wireless router

or

2 - "Repair" the connection on the notebook by clicking the wireless icon in the tray, and then right click - repair connection.

The odd observations:

When the laptop is not connected to the internet (having this problem) I still show a strong signal connection to the router. Also, other computers connected to the wireless router via CAT5 do not experience this internet dropout.

So, any thoughts?

• Members

How far away is the said laptop from the router? It's possible that connectivity is poor, thus losing it's connection.

Quick fix: Take a Pringles can (seriously), poke a hole in the bottom big enough to slide the can over the antenna, and point it in the general direction of your computer. You could also get antenna extensions from the manufacturer to extend the range of the router.

• Members

I have this problem too, so i'm hoping someone who knows what they're talking about comes along.

To answer someone's questions, I still have an "Excellent" signal strength, i just have "limited or no connectivity." This happens on the laptops at my school as well.

One time I clicked "details" and it said what the problem was, but i forgot. The next time it happens, i'll update this thread.

• Members

I'm curious... what has to be fixed to make this not happen?

I had this same problem with Windows XP but I think I cured it by setting the router as my preferred connection so it wouldn't try to negotiate with another router. The trouble was I have a router on each end of the house and switching from one to the other was problematic. If I killed the connection on one to attach to the other I would have to reenter the WEP key each time. :mad: This problem went away when I switched to Linux. Now when I move to another router's coverage area, I just enter 'ifdown eth0; ifup eth0' and it's switched.

Archived