Anyone who has been to university: Halls and own flats.

Fireball_73

• Members

Well, the way things are shaping up, I'm pretty certain I'm going to have to move out for univeristy. A few very aimible people are in the same situation. I wont go through the details.

Basically I just want to hear your experiences with halls and shared flats and any advice you feel like chucking in!

Thanks, Lewis. :wave:

• Members

I live in an apartment with 3 friends. I suggest the dorms for a year or two, then move to apartment. I don't know about the university where you are going to, but here in Pullman all the houses with students living in them are trashed.

• Members

I hated living in the dorms. I always got shacked up with some backward-ass West Texas {censored} who annoyed the living {censored} out of me. Life got a hell of a lot better when I moved out and got an apartment. :thu:

• Members

I suffered through my freshman year in the dorms, not my style at all. I spent the next 3 years in apartments and houses that I rented with friends, much better.

Of course that was 15 years ago and it's all a litle blurry anyway, so take anything I say with a grain of salt ;)

• Members

Life in dorms --> Meet TONS of new people and actually make a lot of friends, too.

Life off Campus --> Don't meet as many people, but much more comfortable.

Live in dorms first year, then move out with the people who know you can get along with. You'll have a bunch of great friends, but still have a comfortable living situation.

• Members

For a lot of people, living in dorms can be easier if you are getting meals and so on provided too, so less to have to bother about in looking after yourself, and for the places I have seen, a very central location to university.

They do mean it is a bit hit and miss in the flatmates department, I know of many people who have made lifelong friends after living with them for a year, but there are also the people you just plain don't get on with. The amount of people you are living beside also means a lot of new faces.

Living in a flat of your own means everything is up to you, so no cleaners coming round periodically and remembering to do the shopping, but provided you set it up yourself, you have control over who you are living with, and more control over your life in general.

I am still staying at home for uni, and while it is a lot easier, there is definately a lot of stuff I have missed out on...

David

• Members

I had no problems living in on-campus housing. I lived two years in traditional halls, two years in a suite and one semester off campus (but within walking distance). I think on-campus life for your first year is a good way to meet people and get to know more about the university. Plus, I had the opportunity to sleep in until 20 minutes before class, take a shower and not be late.

I lived on-campus so long because I was an RA in the suites two years. My own room and bathroom - for free. I really don't mind roommates, but I think if you had a suite-style living arrangement on campus, it would be optimal.

Also, being on campus and getting the food and housing in one package is nice - it eases you in to living on your own if you haven't had that experience yet. Off campus isn't bad, but I felt more like I was in the middle of it all when I was on campus. Plus, it was free for two years, so the price was right.

At any rate, don't try to piss off your roommates - and in the halls, keep your RA or whatever he or she may be happy. Life will be much better ;)

Dustin

• Members
If you live in halls you'll have to put up with being woken up by silly idiots who set off the fire alarms by burning toast, EVERY morning at about 3am

That's no exaggeration.

But it's not just toast. Pretty soon they'll move on to popcorn, frying pans left on the community stove and taking showers with too much steam (no joke).Dustin

• Members

My experience with the dorms at school has been good overall-I've been able to make a lot of new friends thanks to fact that a majority of the people in my dorm are in fairly similar majors. I think dorms are convenient for a number of the reasons listed above (close to campus, food, etc.), but I can't wait to get out and have my own place.

So, if the price is no problem, give the dorms at your school a try, and if it doesn't work out, moving out should be no big deal.

Just stay off the bong, and your college life will be much, much easier. ;)

• Members

Other than the idiots that are drunk all the time....(your results may vary)....and the people who can't microwave popcorn every night...and the fact that you can't play BASS or use anything that has any amount of bass in it...and if you're in a co-ed girls floor/guys floor dorm, the girls will always whine about the noise on the guys' floor...and the fact that you have guys running around naked all the time that SHOULDN'T be (ok, and even the ones that most females wouldn't mind...still shouldn't be....)....and yeah...I did NOT like it...I met a handful of people...didn't get along with hardly ANYONE on my floor...never left my room except for the occasional class...yeah...I would say apartments, flats, or at home...personally...but I had alot of OTHER crap going on too...

• Members

How on Earth did you manage that?
:confused:

I applied to be an RA/CF/PA (yes, we have different terms for essentially the same thing) and had an interview process and got to be in the suites. Got free room and board on campus. It made me able to afford school (out-of-state tuition isn't as affordable as I'd like it, scholarships or not) and it was a great learning/growing experience.

There was a lot of crap to deal with and a lot of rewards. I was in one of two "wet" dorms, which made it even more exciting.

I'll add that living on campus isn't for everyone, either - some love it, others hate it. But I think it's worth doing it for a year. You have to learn to put up with the idiots at some point - or in my situation, babysit the idiots ;)

And I was the RA with a 180-watt bass amp in my room and a decent hi-fi system. :D

• Members

I lived in the dorms as a freshman (in a single room); in a fraternity house my sophomore and junior years; and then in an apartment off campus my senior year.

I felt really isolated living off campus. I actually would've liked to have lived in the dorms on campus my senior year, in retrospect.

Good luck.

• Members

It's my first year, and I really like the dorms so far. Not everyone has a good experience with their roomates, but you can also develop some strong relationships this way. Being in the dorm is a big part of the social experience. I've talked to some people and who went here and hated it because they were in an apartment and never met anyone.

• Members

Thanks everyone so far.

Can you keep em coming please?
:)

Sure, why not? I lived in a dorm all four years of college, three years in the same dorm. Freshman year was great. Made friends in the dorm who would remain constant throughout my stay at college. Sophomore year, I got dumped in a tiny, 8 person dorm. I had a gigantic room, but was completely isolated. Thankfully, one of my best friends moved in to the end of the hall second semester, and it turned out to be quite fun. Junior and senior years I moved back to the same dorm I was in my freshman year(switched rooms at the end of each year). Great times were had. It was a relatively small dorm (around 60 people), so i knew everyone. I'd recommend it. Highly.

Archived