B-Bottoms book recommendation thread

B-Bottom

• Members

World War Z by Max Brooks. it's an interesting book that has first hand accounts from all over the world of the Zombie war. It's a real easy to read and really pulls you in. I'm about half way through it. And if the second half is anything like the first then it will not dissapoint. if you dig Zombies than this is the book for you. I may pick up his Zombie survival guide next

:thu:

• Members

I'm finishing up the "The Talbot Odyssey", by Nelson Demille. Not a really big fan of Demille but this one's ok. It was written in '84 before the collapse of the USSR and it's a Russia vs US book. Starts out pretty slow but it starts to get pretty good at just past the halfway point. If you like reading, give it a shot.

• Members

Just got this back from someone I'd lent it to:

King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild - the story of how tiny Belgium grabbed hold of, and exploited (in ways that continue to reverberate to our time) Congo, and murdered and tortured its inhabitants. It's also the story of the birth of the first human rights organization, which was formed to "out" the horrible truth. This is incredibly sad and really awful, but a terrific book.

• Members

fyi 'Heat' is excellent...

also, how about 'Foucault's Pendulum' but Umberto Eco...crazy stuff

also, Andy Summer's new memoir is a fine read..by one of the non-Sting policemen, and therefore less than totally annoying

• Members

World War Z by Max Brooks. it's an interesting book that has first hand accounts from all over the world of the Zombie war. It's a real easy to read and really pulls you in. I'm about half way through it. And if the second half is anything like the first then it will not dissapoint. if you dig Zombies than this is the book for you. I may pick up his Zombie survival guide next

:thu:

Sweet! I love zombie fiction so I'll have to check that one out. Have you ever read Brian Keene's "The Rising" or "City of the Dead?"

• Members

Sweet! I love zombie fiction so I'll have to check that one out. Have you ever read Brian Keene's "The Rising" or "City of the Dead?"

nope not yet but I have read about them. the interesting thing about World War Z is that as outlandish as the whole Zombie thing is the way people react to this epidemic seems fairly realistic. I'm sure you'll enjoy it

• Members

As always, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, such a surreal and amusing book, and definately one of my favourates.

Next up the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, a whole series of them, but every one I have read so far has been brilliant.

Maybe not 'serious' books, but damn good reads nonetheless

David

• Members

As always, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, such a surreal and amusing book, and definately one of my favourates.

Next up the Discworld books by Terry Pratchett, a whole series of them, but every one I have read so far has been brilliant.

Maybe not 'serious' books, but damn good reads nonetheless

David

I never felt any emotional attachment to any of the characters in the Hitchhikers Guide. Never believed in them. Kinda ruined it for me. I like the Discworld series though. Well at least from the fourth book and on. The first three lacks plot I think. They generally get better the more he writes I feel.

Right now I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

Archived