Is there any viable reason that I shouldn't build a Warmoth bass?

In Absentia

• Members

No reason not too, although you get out of it what you put into it. unless you are experienced working on guitars, you will want to pay a pro for some aspects of assembly (fret level, set up, etc). I've got two of their guitars, had one bass, and am working on a new bass. I think for the money, there isn't anything better.

• Members

warmothbass.jpg
colors.jpg

I saved $ by shopping in the showcase and in the electronics dept .
:D
Great stuff
:love:

Those are all hawt. My guitar stuff is mostly showcase. Unfortunately, the bass deals aren't as good. YOu can typically get a strat body in any of the solid colors for about 265 bucks (That's only about 65 bucks more than just the finish would be), but the bass selection is less good, although keep your eyes peeled and you may well find something you need.

• Members

I like my Warmoth Explorer bass a lot, but I wouldn't say that for the money there isn't anything better. If you're looking strictly for a basic Fender type bass, and don't get special tops, expensive finishes, and keep the options very simple then it would be a good way to get the exact bass you want. If you're going for more than the basics the costs soar, and you will be able to look at even some custom builders for similar budgets. Mine ran up more than my LeCompte even, but it is not your usual Warmoth. They build good quality components, are expensive, and you still are not guaranteed wht the final bass will play or sound like so there are no givens. But there are much worse ways to spend your bass money.:cool:

• Members

I figure I get EXACTLY the bass I want. Sure, it doesn't hold any value, but it seems that their woods are of top quality. If I shouldn't, talk me out of it.

JB

Are you older than you appear in the photo and have an abundance of disposable income?

Have you played lots of different basses over a period of years?

Have you established your own style of playing that you are comfortable with and will continue with for years to come?

If you can't answer yes to all three, then I vote NO.

Warmoths are for people who know EXACLY what they need, are willing to pay a premium, and have no need to worry about resale because they're going to wear the sucker out...

• Members

Those are all hawt. My guitar stuff is mostly showcase. Unfortunately, the bass deals aren't as good. YOu can typically get a strat body in any of the solid colors for about 265 bucks (That's only about 65 bucks more than just the finish would be), but the bass selection is less good, although keep your eyes peeled and you may well find something you need.

Hey Thanks , Yup they do have a lot of gtr stuff , I built a strat too :D I think in the end though you get a high end piece assuming you don't F it up :mad: , with all the good hardware and whatnot . BTW on my next one , err I mean if I ever build another it will have stainless frets , or should I go with solid ebony fretless .:eek::cool: You also get to chant and smoke while you build it and voodoo all over it , um not that I did anything like that .:freak:

• Members

Hey Thanks , Yup they do have a lot of gtr stuff , I built a strat too
I think in the end though you get a high end piece assuming you don't F it up
:mad:
, with all the good hardware and whatnot . BTW on my next one , err I mean if I ever build another it will have stainless frets , or should I go with solid ebony fretless .
:eek::cool:
You also get to chant and smoke while you build it and voodoo all over it , um not that I did anything like that .
:freak:

I went with the SS frets on my bass and Z guitar. There's not a huge difference, but they do feel slicker. The tech was bitching about wearing his files down doing the fret leveling though. SS is the only way to go.:thu:

• Members

I went with the SS frets on my bass and Z guitar. There's not a huge difference, but they do feel slicker. The tech was bitching about wearing his files down doing the fret leveling though. SS is the only way to go.
:thu:

Yeah , I have them on my strat and it's several years old now and I swear they have hardly scratched . :D I like their tone too ;)

• Members

Hey Thanks , Yup they do have a lot of gtr stuff , I built a strat too
I think in the end though you get a high end piece assuming you don't F it up
:mad:
, with all the good hardware and whatnot . BTW on my next one , err I mean if I ever build another it will have stainless frets , or should I go with solid ebony fretless .
:eek::cool:
You also get to chant and smoke while you build it and voodoo all over it , um not that I did anything like that .
:freak:

Tough call on what to do next. I had one of their fretless necks with an ebony board and it was awesome, but I sold the bass to finance another fretless purchase (I stumbled into a super deal on a carvin 6 fretless). I have a fretted in the works right now that should be awesome. Oly white nitro finish, pau ferro board, nordstrands, audere pre. Can't wait for it to be done (It is still off being painted).

I wish they had more deals on painted bass bodies. I think my "strat" body was all of 235 in LPB when I got it a few years ago. If I could get a charcoal frost P for that, I'd be all over it.

• Members

Tough call on what to do next. I had one of their fretless necks with an ebony board and it was awesome, but I sold the bass to finance another fretless purchase (I stumbled into a super deal on a carvin 6 fretless). I have a fretted in the works right now that should be awesome. Oly white nitro finish, pau ferro board, nordstrands, audere pre. Can't wait for it to be done (It is still off being painted).

I wish they had more deals on painted bass bodies. I think my "strat" body was all of 235 in LPB when I got it a few years ago. If I could get a charcoal frost P for that, I'd be all over it.

funny you say that , I built a Carvin BK4F kit , nice bass kit on the cheaps too and yeah tiny little truss rod so don't snap it off :blah: . Your next bass sounds like a serious instrument . :love: They do have some stunning painted bodies though and I didn't know they offered nitro :cool: , and every so often something really catches your eye over there , I have to be careful visiting that site .

Carvin BK4F :D

carvin.jpg

• Members

Are you older than you appear in the photo and have an abundance of disposable income?

Have you played lots of different basses over a period of years?

Have you established your own style of playing that you are comfortable with and will continue with for years to come?

If you can't answer yes to all three, then I vote NO.

Warmoths are for people who know EXACLY what they need, are willing to pay a premium, and have no need to worry about resale because they're going to wear the sucker out...

I have about $3500, and I'm 26, so I am older than I look.

I haven't played a lot of basses.

And no, I haven't developed my own style, exactly.

• Members

Yeah, so... waz up with the Gecko?
:p

Well, I still feel like dog meat, but not as bad... My stomach feels like there's well, you don't wanna know...

Anyway, I'm down to the final prep for the final coats of finish, and then a final buff. I've ordered a small slow-speed air buffer/polisher from Harbor Freight which should make the hours of manual buffing easier. Tried to pick one up at their store across the river, but they only had the 15000rpm sander. So I picked that up, and 2 additional buffing pad kits for it, then ordered this 3000rpm model when I got home. So, with compounds from StewMac, I should be able to get a good hi-buff finish on it.

As for the body and neck, they need the final 600 grit wet sand, and a couple more coats of the Minwax wipe-on poly, then they're ready for the buffer.

My biggest screw-up was this: I wanted clear filler because I wanted that holographic effect of the grain. It's gorgeous! Well, I couldn't find truly 'clear' grain fillers, so I did it with the poly. Only took like 4 coats on the rock maple neck. But took like 15 on the body! Sheesh! I could have used the marine epoxy I have, and done it in one coat. Dang!

Next thing is this: The Minwax poly is a great finish to use. But, other than a second or third coat within about 12 hours of each other, you then have to let it set up for at least 2 to 3 weeks before sanding, for it to harden properly. Well, after 2 or 3 weeks, I've lost momentum, and am on to other things, and it becomes 3 to 6 months.

If I had gone with the TruOil finish I'd originally planned, it would have been done in 3 months or so. 3 or 4 coats, a little steel wool, and voila! But nooooo, I got seduced by the beautiful grain into going hi-gloss. Dang!

Which is why I readily say, unless you're a refinishing pro, if you're going hi-gloss, pay for them to do it!!! :thu:

Otherwise, I think if you know exactly what you're looking for in a bass, and enjoy projects like this, Warmoth is The Way to go!

• Members

I have about $3500, and I'm 26, so I am older than I look.

I haven't played a lot of basses.

And no, I haven't developed my own style, exactly.

With a budget like that, I'd say buy a $1000 bass to play now, and buy the parts to build the bass with the rest. A project like this can take more time than you think. That said, every time I go to the Warmoth site, I imagine myself building a Gecko...

C7

• Members

With a budget like that, I'd say buy a $1000 bass to play
now
, and buy the parts to build the bass with the rest. A project like this can take more time than you think. That said, every time I go to the Warmoth site, I imagine myself building a Gecko...

C7

Yeah, I strongly recommend taking about a grand out, and putting the remainder into a money market. Let it grow interest in there. Buy a real workhorse like a Fender P, MusicMan Stingray, or G&L SB2. PLAY THE HELL OUT OF IT. Your simply not experienced enough to get so wrapped up in this sh*t.

Archived