Avatar 212 vs. 410 vs. 210 vs. 112

BoundandBlocked

• Members

I'm looking for a cab with a mid hump. I would like to get a schroeder, but they are a bit cost prohibitive. That said--which of the avatars are the middiest? I am also open to other suggestions of (probably used) cabs in the same price range as the avatars. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Members

Why are you looking for a mid hump'd cab? What effect/tone are you after?

I have a an SVT-410HLF and I want something that is:

1) Lighter/more portable for when I need more volume than my combo can deliver, yet not so much to warrant hauling the ampeg around.

2) A good match with the ampeg (which is a bit bass heavy) to give me a more flat freq. response.

• Members

Gotcha. Based on what I've read, the Avatar 410 neo delivers more low end than does the 212 and the 212 is supposed to be better at cutting through the mix. That's based on the BP review on Avatar's site. Personally, I have the 210 and 212. The 210 is a good companion cab but I haven't really been impressed with it as a stand alone cab. It just kind of sits there and goes boom, not a lot of life to it. The 212 has is more detailed an an all around better cab -- it's usually what I take to gigs. The 212 is also really light and easy to carry for it's size. So, I'd say the 212 would be your best bet.

• Members

If you want something radically diffrent to your HLF, go 212. If you want a lower cost and weight replacement, the 410neo is the way to go. Lots of bass, clear mids, smooth top end. I went from an HLF to an Aggie 112, the to this. Love this cab!!! And its /12 the weight.

• Members

If you want something radically diffrent to your HLF, go 212. If you want a lower cost and weight replacement, the 410neo is the way to go. Lots of bass, clear mids, smooth top end. I went from an HLF to an Aggie 112, the to this. Love this cab!!! And its /12 the weight.

Thanks for the input. I am looking for something radically different since I will be keeping my ampeg cab. Do you have the 410 or 212?

• Members

It's worth mentioning that Avatar just started using custom LF Neos in their 2x12's so they'll probably match the low-end output of the Delta LF's now. I'm considering swapping my Delta's out with them...

C7

I'm guessing that he's adjusted the port to fit the new speakers though. Unless he's using one size fits all boxes...

• Members

Unless he's using one size fits all boxes...

I think that's the case. It's a slot port, he'd have to have his cab builder make different cabs. He has Eminence make him OEM speakers, so he might have made the adjustment there, but considering that the cab was originally designed to hold the Delta LF's, if the Neo LF's are made with similar parameters, the cab will sound better with the new Neo LF speakers.

This is all speculation on my part.:D

C7

• Members

I think that's the case. It's a slot port, he'd have to have his cab builder make different cabs. He has Eminence make him OEM speakers, so he might have made the adjustment there, but considering that the cab was originally designed to hold the Delta LF's, if the Neo LF's are made with similar parameters, the cab will sound better with the new Neo LF speakers.

This is all speculation on my part.
:D
C7

The only thing that makes me wonder is that my 210 has a different port depth (13") than does my 212 (8.75").

• Members

That's kinda weird that you bring up this subject...as I'm thinkin about selling my Fender 410 and going with the Avatar 212...or running both...I haven't decided yet...I really want to run a lightweight, mid-power stack. So I'm gonna get myself a Neopack and an Avvie 212...it'll be lighter than either one of my cabs...or my head...for that matter. I'll probably get one of the new "rack bags" that Rondo has right now too for it...

Archived