Bass amp setup solutions... anyone?

paperarmytank

• Members

So I've got $350. I've just joined a touring band that plays metal/screamo/hardcore (yeah, I know I know...) Anyway, I have a Hartke Transporter 4x10 cab. I don't have a head. I do have an old Peavey powered mixer. Could I get a preamp (Tech21 Sansamp) or something similar and run that through the powered PA head? Or should I look for a head and spend the money? I need big and loud, but decent sounding. I wouldn't mind spending the $350 on another cab, perhaps a 1x15. But I'm willing to shell out the cash ff the Peavey mixer with a preamp won't sound good. Any head suggestions? I'm steering clear of Behringer. I know $350 isn't a lot, so any good used things you think I might find are welcome suggestions. Thanks for all the help!

• Members

The 800RB is definitely one to look out for. Killer heads; I like them better than the 400/700/1001 models and the Fusion 550.

Some old Trace Elliot heads go on Ebay for that price at times. Get one about 250-400 watts, and you should be set. They have an out for going to a PA too if thats needed.

• Members

my advice would be stick with the peavey mixer head, get that sansamp, and get a cheap 2nd hand 15" to go under the 4x10. You will be plenty loud.

Then put your pennies aside till you can afford the head you want.

Besides, if you are playing screamo you will have no choice long term except an 8x10 and ampeg head.:thu::p

• Members

That is oh so true about the Ampeg and 8x10. I don't think I've seen one touring screamo/happy hardcore band that hasn't had that or that dang Behringer head... always with the Ampeg cab though. Thanks for the replies. I'm checking into those heads you mentioned. Any thoughts on a new Hartke head though?

Archived