Do you like your own voice?

bassman1956

• Members

I'm very used to hearing myself and actually like my voice. I'm not going to say that I'm perfect, I've got plenty of recordings that show plenty of little errors, but all in all, I like to hear the emotion/inflections that I put into my singing, so I know what the crowd is hearing, and that it is good.

• Members

I talk in a pretty deep voice, but when I harmonize, I always try to sing the higher parts than the female in the band!

I sing lead on a couple of numbers, and I hate it, but I think it breaks things up a bit for an audience, and no one seems to walk out when I start!

• Members

i was shocked the first time i heard my voice recorded.

you sound so echoy and boomy in your own head. I sounds more deep in my own head/ears, but recorded, I can't barely recognize myself.

I can somewhat carry a pitch, too.

but in the end, I don't care what I sound like.. I really love singing.

• Members

I've been told by a lot of people that I'm a good singer. I don't really like my voice most days. I find it tolerable on the best days.

But that's one of those things, you know. You have what you have. I feel lucky that people seem to like it, and I guess I'm not afraid to use it, and I've learned to just...hear it without getting all judgemental other than "is it in tune" and "does it get my emotional point across".

I think very few people love their own voice. John Lennon hated his voice.

• Members

I didn't vote, because none of the poll options apply to me.

I am growing to appreciate my voice. I always wanted to have a Michael McDonald/ Kenny Loggins ish voice, but what I have is kind of a Duane allman/ eric clapton ish voice with serious James brown tendencies.

Work with whatcha got!

• Members

I've never been a singer at all until tonight.:eek:

I bought a Shure SM58 and SM57, and of course tonight became karaoke night.:D

With a few weeks of practice I might be passable on backup (if I can remember the words while playing).

Man, it was tough trying to play and sing at the same time at first.

Still need lots and lots and lots of practice.

• Members

I sing a lot of lead, and like to have my monitors as clear and loud as I can. I've used recordings to help with my singing too, to hear where I'm going wrong. Over time I've just had to get used to my voice and I honestly think I sound pretty decent. In fact I'm probably a better singer than a bassist at the moment. By contrast our drummer does most of the backing and his voice just annoys the hell out of me... sounds like he's straining to take a dump half the time.

We also have a female singer who has a fantastic voice :love:

• Members

I used to only do backups in bands and every now and then I sang a song. then I was in a metal band and we could never find a singer so I began singing. It took awhile to get the hang of playing and singing and I wasn't happy with my voice so I took singing lessons.

They seemed to help as far as breathing goes, but I lost the "balls" to my voice because the guy was teaching me to sing {censored} from the sound of music and the like.

So I quit that and then the band broke up and I haven't done any singing in about 3 years until now with my new band.

We're a three piece and I'm doing the brunt of the singing. I really sucked ass at first because I was nervous as hell. But the dudes are cool and understanding so I kept at it and by the end of the first practice I was back to my old "ballsy" sounding self.

I don't think I have a bad voice, it seems to fit the kind of stuff we're doing. I wish I had started singing when I was young though. Maybe that would've helped me develop a more unique sound but like I said it seems to fit with what we're doing now so I'm cool with it.

• Members

I've been singing in performances since I was in grade school, I have a decent voice and alot of power. It's uncomfortable to hear it recorded, but I think that's just a self-conscious thing that everybody has. I don't mind hearing it amplified, though.

I'm doing backups in my band now, and my singing voice is so powerful that I have to stand a foot from the microphone.:D

When I start to think that my voice is horrible, I listen to my boy Neil Young and it makes me feel better.:D

C7

• Members

When I start to think that my voice is horrible, I listen to my boy Neil Young and it makes me feel better.
:D
C7

Dude no {censored}. We were talking about him at band practice last week and the same thing came up. In fact the guitar player actually said...well at least you're better than Neil Young :D

• Moderators

I'm pretty good. Versatile, too. Tuesday mornings, I have my voice lessons, working on show tunes and classical literature. Then Tuesday evenings, it's band practice doing our "Johnny Cash meets the Grateful Dead" thing in the deep woods.

So here I am, over fifty, all grown up and still waiting to be a rock star. :(

• Members
I do fine on harmonies. Please don't ask me to sing lead.
:D

Me to. My guitar player wants me to sing lead on one song but there is no way thats going to happen. I can sing backup and harmony on most songs but thats about it. I don't have great range so as long as I can pick a spot in the middle range and go with that I'm ok. High register is out of the question low register I struggle with if it gets to low give me the middle ground. And I took the boalog just because his mom is HOT LOL.

Archived