Looking for Acoustic/Electric - Some advise please

outdoors4me

• Members

Hey folks,

New member here. I'm looking for an acoustic/electric purchase after I ebay a few things for the funds.

I'll have a budget of 1500 - 2000. I need frets because I'm a mere mortal. I'll be using this at first for Bluegrass (yes, acoustic/electrics are no longer the work of the devil), but I'd like something that works for other styles of music as well.

Any recommendations on brands/models?

Also, in our stupid question department....do you play an acoustic/electric through and electric bass amp or are they making acoustic amps for bass now? I have a Carvin Redline 600.

Thanks, Beck

• Members

Hello , Welcome :wave: I would say on the high end there is Rob Allen , Rick Turner , Martin , cheaper , I like the Carvin , do you want a Full size body ? I like the Taylor too that's a sweet one . They usually work ok with a bass amp , but you could look into a nice pre like a Fishman , or a " acoustic" amp like a SWR strawberry blonde . Lots of cheaper basses available , like a Michael Kelly , or did you want an Electric upright ?

You can see a few of those here ;)

whoops edit : ;)

http://www.bassnw.com/newbasskz.htm

• Members

Acoustic Bass brands I have tried:
Olympia
Gold Tone
Takamine
Dean
Washburn
Warwick
Alvarez
Martin
Taylor
Ibanez
Tacoma
Michael Kelly
Fender
Oscar Schmidt
and probably a couple more that I can't think of off the top of my head...

The only 2 acoustic bass brands I've tried and really liked:
Martin - haven't tried one I didn't like...
Washburn AB-30 or AB-35 (5 string) - I have hated every other Washburn I have played.

Oh, and on my top 5 list of basses I want to try: The Ribbecke Halfling Bass :idea:

• Members

I have to throw out that Tacoma's Thunderchief is one of the best sounding abg 's out there, regardless of price - especially in the low end.

+ another 1....they are so nice I have wanted one for a long while. They sound great unplugged and have a real room filling warmth..

I also like the Taylor I played.

That new Fender Victor Bailey ABG is apparently the tits as well

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0953300221

• Members

Hey...a couple of more questions for those that like the Thunderchief CB10C....

I have found out already that there are different electronics options - L.R. Baggs, Fishman, etc. What is considered the best? Or is it just a matter of taste?

Specifically:

E4: Fishman Prefix Plus transducer with active preamp, 038-1254-021, $250.00 Upcharge

E6: L.R. Baggs "Miratone" 2-band EQ and sweep notch filter, 038-1256-021, $200.00 Upcharge

E7: B-Band active, fixed curve EQ, saddle end/pin system, 038-1257-021, $150.00 Upcharge

Also, the CB285 caught my eye because of the sexy maple body and ebony fretboard. Is the sound any better?

Thanks, Beck

• Members

Hey...a couple of more questions for those that like the Thunderchief CB10C....

I have found out already that there are different electronics options - L.R. Baggs, Fishman, etc. What is considered the best? Or is it just a matter of taste?

Specifically:

E4: Fishman Prefix Plus transducer with active preamp, 038-1254-021, $250.00 Upcharge

E6: L.R. Baggs "Miratone" 2-band EQ and sweep notch filter, 038-1256-021, $200.00 Upcharge

E7: B-Band active, fixed curve EQ, saddle end/pin system, 038-1257-021, $150.00 Upcharge

Also, the CB285 caught my eye because of the sexy maple body and ebony fretboard. Is the sound any better?

Thanks, Beck

As many of these basses as I have tried, I have not plugged in anything besides a Martin, which still sounded amazing. I believe the preamp on at least one of those was a fishman, but don't quote me on that...

Archived