Amp question...

• Members

Ok, I want to find a few opinions on a couple points..

I want to find an easily portable, decent sounding, cheap (sub 300?), new or used amplifier that is powerful enough to stand up to a drumset at practice volumes.

The second, more general, question to rise from this, is what the minimum power level is to stand up to a kit. I've had people tell me anything from 80 to 200 watts..

Price is a massive issue, but I dont want to compromise decent tone.

Thanks, as always.

• Members

I've had fine jams with drummers using 100 watt combos with 15" speakers such as these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-100-Bass-Combo?sku=480721

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-LA15-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482038

You can cut those prices in about half if you go used on ebay or the like. I'm sure you'll get more recommendations by the end of this thread.

That should be plenty of power for a moderately loud jam situation, just watch your volume.

• Members

You can probably get a new Fender Rumble from a local Guitar Center for $300 or less. I like mine and I got for exactly $300. It can get loud and is affordable. Also, if they have a Crate 220 w/15" speaker, you can probably talk them down to $275. That is also loud and has more than enough watts to be heard over a kit.

Peace be with you, Johnny

• Members

If you want to go head/cab look at a behringer 450H and a used peavey 115 cab. I got mine for amp 220.00 cab 70.00. Don't be dissuaded by behringer haters they aren't that bad I've had mine for 2 yrs+ and use it all the time with no problems. The other option would be a used combo I would look at a peavey or ashdown, maybe an ampeg but I'm not really impressed with most ampeg combos but they do have some decent ones but they may be out of your price range. But seriously look at behringer but stay away from there speaker cabs they suck big time or if you get a good deal on one switch the speakers out for peavey or eminancespeakers peavey being my choice. good luck.

• Members

the Ashdown Superfly Bass Amplifier Head (2x250 Watts) is going for $280 from zzounds ( http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDALSF500 ), seems like a great deal to me, but I haven't tried one yet. Then save up for a used PEavey 4X10 TX, should find one for less than $200 easy or an Avatar. That's a setup that will handle almost any situation you'll run into.

• Members

In the $300 and under the only thing I can think of thats very portable and good sound is a used JBL Eon powered 15" Pa speaker. 300 watts. Theys sell new for just over $300 so getting used one for bit under should be no problem. You will probably want a processor in front of it though for whatever overdrive, added eq, etc you desire for tone shaping.

Archived