ever try to play bag pipes?

B-Bottom

• Members

my roommate plays the bag pipes, and he let me try it. i didnt think it was that bad, but ive played the clarinet for over ten years, and that probably helped. it takes a lot of air and a lot of support to get a good sound out of it.

• Members

In half of my last year at high school I was a "buddy" for the first years. One of the kids I talked to a lot is a memeber of the pipe band, and is the only piper in my school. He is only 13, but plays at all the ceremonies and events that the school think would be suitable. :thu: He did a sponsored climb on Ben Lomand and played his pipes at the top. Class! :D

• Members

Ive always loved bagpipes when played well.

Me too. For a while anyway. When they start playing I think, hey that sounds cool. 5 minutes later I'm thinking, OK it's getting annoying now. 5 minutes after that I'm screaming...OH GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!

Geddy Lee's voice has the same effect on me.

• Members

The chanter is the easy part. The hard part is keeping the bag constantly filled, and while you're not blowing, squeezing (hardy har har) to keep constant pressure so that the tone of the drones stays consistent. That takes literally years to master. Plus, you don't have one reed, but four to maintain, plus the bag, whether it be synthetic or sheepskin, is still a hassle. Still, gigs with the bagpipes pay much better than with the bass. :p I wish I could still play them.

{censored}in' brain tumors. :mad:

Archived