Ok...P Bass or Jazz Bass for Indie Rock/Experimental/Prog?

Noise...

• Members

I play some sort of mix of Indie Rock, Experimental, and Prog-rock and I'm looking to get a bass soon. However, I really don't know which bass would be the better option for what I want. At the moment I play guitar and drums, and I really find myself wanting to play bass.

I'd go and try them side by side, but there are only smaller shops near me and they don't really have many basses.

Either way I'd be going for a Standard MIM version in arctic white and then putting a tortoise shell pickguard on it.

I plan on getting one of each eventually, but I have to start somewhere first.

I listen to a lot of At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta, Pink Floyd, Circa Survive, and similar stuff.

Which would you guys recommend to get first?

• Members

Here's the obligatory P/J comment. Some basses have a P p/u plus a J on the bridge. The play like a P with the J p/u off but you can add the J for some bite.

I have a P with flats in a more folk/indie rock contex and even there I want some more bite & definition sometimes (most of the time it fits just fine). I may switch strings, but I'd rather add a bass with a bridge p/u, I think.

• Members

My advice is to find out what the bands you like are using. Geddy, for example, has played a Jazz, Ric, Wal, and Steinberger over the years. See what each is using, and let that be your guide. Remember though, that tone is not just the instrument!

Archived