Pickup Question

Dr. Darwin

• Members

Hey Gang,

I've got a Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzmen that isn't sounding as good as I know it should. For those that aren't familiar, it has a musicman sized humbucker in the bridge and a jazz pickup in the neck. A few years ago, I had the stock MEC (passive) pickups replaced with Seymour Duncan Basslines pickups. The bridge is their standard passive musicman replacement (smb4 maybe?) and the jazz pup is the "Hot Jazz" if I remember correctly.

The problem is this: Even from the time I got them put in, they just didn't blow my socks off like I thought they would. The difference from the stock pickups is kind of minimal. Furthermore, when I had the MEC pickups in, the best position for the blend knob was right in the middle so that the humbucker and the jazz were both in use. Now with the Duncans, anywhere other than only neck pickup or only bridge pickup sounds extremely thin and much quieter to the point where they're unusable. Just wondering if this would be the product of incorrect installation or if you guys think that the pickups are just mismatched and not really meant to be blended together...

Depending on what the issue is, I might take it in to have the wiring looked at or just get some different pups.

Thanks,

The Doc

• Members

Thanks Darkstorm! It's due for a tune up anyway so when I take it in, I'll definitely bring it up with the tech.

It SHOULD wind up sounding pretty good, assuming you kept the stock preamp circuit. The preamp was a stock Seymour Duncan in most Jazzmans. I have a FNA (just the humbucker) and my preamp gets awesome tone, even with the stock MEC...

I am considering a Nordstrand though... :D

Archived