Best Head for $500

johnny6644

• Moderators

What about a 1001RB?

I don't have any experience with that amp, but the reason I am so quick to recommend an 800RB in that price range is because they are easy to find on the used market, they are very reliable and they sound great. You can buy a beat up 15 year old 800RB and it will still kick ass.

• Members

I don't have any experience with that amp, but the reason I am so quick to recommend an 800RB in that price range is because they are easy to find on the used market, they are very reliable and they sound great. You can buy a beat up 15 year old 800RB and it will still kick ass.

Will it go down to 2 ohms? Is it loud?!

• Members

What HE said. :)

• Members

Will it go down to 2 ohms? Is it loud?!

It should be plenty loud. Historically speaking, I believe it's been the choice amp for touring companies for decades. ...for a reason. ;)

Ya gotta pair it with the right cab(s) if your concerned about enough volume tho. If your playing with a hard hitting drummer or two guitards, then I'd recommend an efficient 2x10 cab and an efficient 1x15 cab short stack...at least. There's always a 2x15 or a 8x10. The 800RB will drive 'em well.

• Members

It should be plenty loud. Historically speaking, I believe it's been the choice amp for touring companies for decades. ...for a reason.
;)
Ya gotta pair it with the right cab(s) if your concerned about enough volume tho. If your playing with a hard hitting drummer or two guitards, then I'd recommend an efficient 2x10 cab and an efficient 1x15 cab short stack...at least. There's always a 2x15 or a 8x10. The 800RB will drive 'em well.

Right now, all I've got is a 2x10 Nemesis 8 ohm cab, but would like to get a 2x12 at some point. But for now, all I'll be using is the 2x10. I want something to go up in size and volume with at some point.

• Members

I gotta pipe in more support for GK.

I bought a 400RB-IV for $200 used on ebay.

It is pretty damn loud. (GK rates their heads more conservatively than many)

Running @ 4 ohms (285W) it would easily compete with just about any band situation.

• Members

450-500 is a standard price for a 1001RB II.

But don't buy one used. Buy it new, get the warranty, and thank me later. They're very reliable, but buying with a warranty and a return policy is always better at that price (600 bucks vs. 500).

If you're gonna get a used head I recommend Old Peavey or an older GK 800RB.

Archived