Bass Amp

robashby

• Members

This might be the wrong place for a bass amp question but noone was asking questions about bass amps on the amp section so i thought i would ask it where Bass players definately look.

I have just started playing in a band where I play electric and bass and my mate plays accoustic and bass. (bass plays in every song)

I use a classic 30 and our drummer is not massively loud on rock songs and quietish on the accoustic tracks.

Can anyone tell me what power I should get for the bass amp + any recommendations of amp. (Value for money please!)

• Members

100 watts and a very efficient 4x10 or two fifteens should be quite plenty for that situation. Lotsa peeps cant seem to wrap their hands around the simple fact that amount of air movement and speaker efficiency have to be taken into account. 1,000 watts thru a single ten inch speaker will never ever keep up with 200 watts thru 4x10. Cant compete air movement wise. 1,000 watts thru low efficiency speakers wont do as well as 100 watts thru high effiency speakers. For low volume situations in small clubs a single 15 with or without horn, or a 2x10 is normally enough speaker wise. 200 watts is good min wattage to go for though so that you have that little bit of headroom that 200 rather then 100 watts gives. Especially if you do lotsa of the basses lower end notes. Volume diff between 100 watts and 200 watts is negligible but does give some useful headroom.

Archived