Building my endurance.

snd4c

• Members

Repetitious Funk, i'm talkin' like 5 minutes on one bass heavy riff.

Actually; any riff you even invent, just cycle it for a few minutes, your fingers hands and forearms should start achen', stop and let your blood start flowing again then do it over.

• Members

Learn from 3:00-4:30 of Jetho Tull's "Thick as a Brick"

Play it over and over and over and over.

That made me a faster player with more endurance.

A lot of Iron Maiden tunes are helpful as well.

But yeah, playing fast things over and over and over, faster and faster and faster is the only way to do it.

• Members

Thanks for the tips everyone :thu:

Playing 8th notes and 16th notes to a metronome at increasing tempos would help too- you'd build endurance, speed, and accurate timing.

Yeah I've been doing this to different scales and my own bands songs.

I'm having trouble with triplets using my ring finger it misses the string by fractions of a millimeter the only way I hit it is if I curve my wrist slightly is this fine or is there another way I should be approaching this?

• Members

Thanks for the tips everyone
:thu:

I'm having trouble with triplets using my ring finger it misses the string by fractions of a millimeter the only way I hit it is if I curve my wrist slightly is this fine or is there another way I should be approaching this?

if your hittin' triplets my friend you deserve a high five :eek:;)

• Members

I just play three fingers how it feels comfortable. One thing for fingerstyle- figure out where to anchor your thumb that makes a big difference. Also, I would practice triplets using three fingers but also straight rhythms like 8ths, etc. Some people have trouble playing steady rhythms with three fingers without giving it a galloping feel. If you want real speed, like Steve DiGiorgio style, you'll need a steady, solid 3 finger technique :blah:

• Members

I just play three fingers how it feels comfortable. One thing for fingerstyle- figure out where to anchor your thumb that makes a big difference. Also, I would practice triplets using three fingers but also straight rhythms like 8ths, etc. Some people have trouble playing steady rhythms with three fingers without giving it a galloping feel. If you want real speed, like Steve DiGiorgio style, you'll need a steady, solid 3 finger technique
:blah:

I anchor it on the pickup for the E string and then the E string for the A and A for D and D for G sometimes I will just leave it on a given string if I'm playing a fast lick or something how do you guys go about and do it?

• Members

I anchor it on the pickup for the E string and then the E string for the A and A for D and D for G sometimes I will just leave it on a given string if I'm playing a fast lick or something how do you guys go about and do it?

On a 4 string, I just anchor on the pickup pretty much. :wave:

• Members

What do you want to build endurance on; a bass neck or a hand gripper?

Personally i wouldn't go the mechanical strengthening route, it don't do anything for accuracy, agility, speed on a fretboard.

You'll have a nice strong hand for working a gripper and still have the same sloppy ass weak fretboard skill.

But, the choice is up to the player.

• Members

What do you want to build endurance on; a bass neck or a hand gripper?

Personally i wouldn't go the mechanical strengthening route, it don't do anything for accuracy, agility, speed on a fretboard.

You'll have a nice strong hand for working a gripper and still have the same sloppy ass weak fretboard skill.

But, the choice is up to the player.

+1.

• Members

Play. A lot. The next day, play a lot - plus one more minute. Then again, plus yet one more minute. Etc., etc.

Anchoring: I anchor pretty loosely. I don't push down with all my might on my thumb. I also float across strings.

• Members

Play the triplets at a painfully slow speed, say 40 bpm. Break down every single tiny little movement involved in playing this triplet. Work on the technique until it is totally effortless with no muscle tenseness at all. Then up the speed. Play at the new speed until it is as effortless as it was at the old speed. Keep continuing until you're playing it as fast as you want to.

The trick for me was to eliminate all unnecessary movements and ingrain the movements into the muscle. Once you have the movements down to muscle memory, ratcheting up the speed should be pretty easy.

Archived