Tendonitis?

• Members

So, the ring finger on my fretting hand has been giving me the business for a couple weeks now. First things first, when i fret with this finger, it often bends backward at the first joint, but does not usually hurt. Now it hurts at the knuckle and it runs down into my wrist and forearm when i play. Nothing else hurts, and it sometimes does not hurt, and it seems to depend on the angle of my arm. Don't want to run into the doc, but i am concerned. Is this tendonitis?

• Members

I don't know if it's tendinitis yet; but with the joint bending backwards on that finger indicates:

1) your strings are way too high causing you to us excess pressure to fret them, a proper bass setup will alleviate much of this.

2) you have developed bad technique it seems, and now it's ingrained (natural) in your playing...strict attention to form and technique over a period of time is the only solution to break this injury prone cycle.

Heres some sites to read over in the meantime.

This is a good technique lesson (the top 4 lessons) use these as if your hands depend on them (because they do) :)

http://www.adamnitti.com/lessons.shtml

This site is some stretches to do to keep your 'playing parts' limber.

http://www.musicianshealth.com/stretches.htm

surf around those sites, some good info in them.

As an aside...go easy if your going to do the stretches, doing them too often and too much or too far can make matters worse...just till you feel the "pull" then stop.

• Members

Pain in fingers/hands is not really a fun thing to have, even for non musicians (AKA normal people). I went to the doc last week with some minor issues figuring it's better to get checked out BEFORE there's a real problem. Now I've got two super cool wrist/hand braces I'm supposed to wear whenever possible, except they make work impossible so I can't wear them where I really need them. They make bass playing impossible too, though maybe I could learn upright. Not sure metal/"stoner" rock would work with an upright though...

Tendonitis in my right, carpal tunnel in my left. Huzzah.

Archived